Women's golf to begin play at Rocket Classic

Tournament: Rocket Classic 

Where: Catawba Island Golf Club, Port Clinton, OH

When: October 10-11

Coming off a runner-up finish at the Kzoo Classic this week, Ball State women's golf will be on the road again next week at the Rocket Classic in Ohio. 

Ball State has been playing well with two top-5 finishes in its last two tournaments, with top-10 individual finishes from sophomore Sydney Anderson and seniors Kelsey Sear and Allison Lindley.

Sear attributes her success to trusting her swing and others on the team.  

"It's about being patient and trusting the process," she said. 

The Cardinals have three days before they hit the road again, but Sear said that the short breaks in between tournaments help the team stay focused. 

"The quick turnaround is going to help us, " she said, "because we are going to stay in the competitive mindset." 

Anderson, Sear and Lindley have help from the other members of the team who are also stepping up and chipping into the tournament success that they have been having. Freshman Manon Tounalom posted a 17-over-par 54-hole score in the Cardinal Classic, her best score this season. Junior Morgan Nadaline had a top-20 finish in the Cardinal Classic and posted two scores in the 70s during that tournament, just behind Anderson. 

Head coach Katherine Mowat is pleased with the progress the team is making and hopes to keep the same mindset moving forward. She also agreed with Sears and said the team enjoys the short breaks in between tournaments because it helps keep the same mentality.

"We get to be back home for a couple days, and then we're back on the road helping us keep the same mindset for the next tournament," Mowat said. 

Similar to this week at the Kzoo Classic, the golf course for the Rocket Classic is new to the Cardinals but Mowat has said that the team will continue to embrace the challenge of playing at a new course. 

Mowat believes the team will be able to play well next week but said that the team still needs to improve on a lot of aspects of their game. 

"Our best is yet to come from a standpoint of the players," she said. 

The Cardinals will try for a  top-5 finish for the third consecutive tournament as they  begin play at the Catawba Island Golf Club in Port Clinton, Ohio on Monday, October 10th. The 54-hole tournament hosted by Toledo will conclude October 11.