Ball State women's soccer beats Toledo 2-1

Senior defender Lorina White steals the ball away from a Toledo player during the game against Toledo at the Briner Sports Complex on Oct. 16. Kyle Crawford // DN

In the 69th minute of Ball State soccer's win over Toledo Oct. 16, senior midfielder Gabby Veldman knocked in a cross from senior defender Lorina White to put the Cardinals ahead 2-0.

Rather, White's cross hit Veldman in the back and the ball bounced into the goal.

Ball State (12-2-2, 7-0-1 in MAC) went on to beat Toledo (6-9-1, 1-6-1 in MAC) 2-1 on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

In addition to Veldman's goal, sophomore forward Emily Scott scored her fifth goal for the Cardinals this season with 10 seconds to go in the first half of play, giving the team their first goal of the game.

Junior goalkeeper Alyssa Heintschel allowed a goal in the 83rd minute to Toledo's offensive mainstay forward Kiersten Johnson, who is tied for third in the Mid-American Conference with eight goals on the season. It was the first goal allowed by Ball State since its 3-1 victory against Eastern Michigan Sept. 30.

"I say this every time, but it is a full team effort," Heintschel said. "The last couple of games, our defense has been so solid, so the credit really can't go to me a lot. [The defense] does such a good job of holding teams to very few shots on goal, so my job is just to come up big once or twice when it does get by them."

Ball State also saw some different faces on the field today as sophomore midfielder Paula Guerrero did not play after starting 13 games. Sophomore midfielder Alessandra Fistrovich (60 minutes played) and junior midfielder Shannon Greeley (30 minutes) split time.

Head coach Craig Roberts said he's always trying to shake things up and see what works for the team. The Cardinals only have three games left in the regular season.

"We just wanted to see some other individuals perform in that role," Roberts said. "[Playing Fistrovich and Greeley] obviously was eventful and successful with what we have."

Next week, Ball State heads East to Ohio for games against Ohio University Oct. 20 and against Kent State on Oct. 23.