Works in Motion showcase gives students chance to explore artistry

<p>The Department of Theatre and dance will host its semi-annual student performance showcase, Works in Motion, in the Ball Gymnasium at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 28. The students&nbsp;performing will get the chance to experiment with choreography before their capstone project.<em style="background-color: initial;">&nbsp;Michelle Kaufman // DN File</em></p>

The Department of Theatre and dance will host its semi-annual student performance showcase, Works in Motion, in the Ball Gymnasium at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 28. The students performing will get the chance to experiment with choreography before their capstone project. Michelle Kaufman // DN File

What: Works in Motion

When: 7:30 p.m. Oct. 28

Where: Ball Gym

Admission: $2

Students from the Department of Theatre and Dance will have an opportunity to showcase and collaborate on pieces of dance and music they are currently working on. 

The department will host its semi-annual student performance showcase, Works in Motion, at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 28 in Ball Gymnasium. 

Works in Motion gives students a chance to experiment with choreography before their capstone project, said Rachael Wieczorek, a senior dance performance major who is organizing the show.

Wieczorek has been involved with the show for three years. This year’s show is different than last year’s Space in Motion show, when the theatre department paired with the architecture department.

“It’s called Works in Motion because people can submit work that they’re still working on,” Wieczorek said. “It’s also a time to get together with friends.”

Madison Baker, a junior dance major, is one of the performers this year. She is working with the junior class on a collaborative piece.

“We divided our song into seven parts and took a section to choreograph and then taught each other,” Baker said. “We are having fun with it and there isn’t much stress to create movement, but at the same time we want it to look good and look clean.”

This is Baker’s second time participating in Works in Motion. Last year she and her class learned a piece by dance professor Audra Sokol.

“We try to make it a tradition to perform in Works,” Baker said. “Works in Motion is how we came up with our name Sassy 6 — there are six girls and one boy. We say he is the ‘S’ in sassy. We use Works in Motion as a way to collaborate and have fun.”

Participants also have the chance to hear faculty feedback. If they see faculty members in the audience, students might go to their office hours and ask for feedback, Wieczorek said.

Students can submit works of song, dance or instrumental music, although Wieczorek said this year is mostly all dancers.

“It’s a chance to keep exploring our artistry rather than just waiting for our next assignment,” Wieczorek said.