Ball State football vs. Indiana quarter updates

<p>Ball State head coach Mike Neu looks on as the Cardinals play in their annual Spring Football Game. Neu is in his first season as Ball State's head coach. <em>DN File // Kellen Hazelip</em></p>

Ball State head coach Mike Neu looks on as the Cardinals play in their annual Spring Football Game. Neu is in his first season as Ball State's head coach. DN File // Kellen Hazelip

Fourth Quarter

Ball State went 63 yards on seven plays, ending in a Morgan Hagee 38-yard field goal. After the kick, the Cardinals trail 30-6 with 13:46 left in the game.

Indiana's drive took a big hit when Richard Lagow was called for intentional grounding on first down. Dedrick Cromartie blocked Joseph Gedeon's punt on fourth down, and it was picked up by Malik Dunner for the short score. After the extra point, Ball State has cut the lead to 30-13 with 12:53 remaining.

The Hoosiers punted, and Ball State continued to chip away. Running back Darian Green made some big plays in space — including a 25-yard screen pass down to the Indiana 23-yard line. Riley Neal threw his first touchdown pass of the season with 3:06 left in the game, a 5-yard score to Jordan Hogue. Ball State has the Indiana lead down to 30-20.

Indiana chewed up most of what was left on the clock on its next drive. Devine Redding crossed the century mark and carried the offense deep into Ball State territory, but the Hoosiers turned it over on downs.

Time ran out on the Cardinals just as they got to midfield.

Indiana defeated Ball State 30-20. The Cardinals fell to 1-1 on the season.

Third Quarter

The Hoosiers started the third quarter the same way they ended the second — by putting points on the board.

Quarterback Richard Lagow hit Nick Westbrook on a screen pass on the right side, and Westbrook put his head down going 79 yards for the score. After the extra point, Indiana's lead increased to 27-0.

Ball State punted on its next drive, and Indiana came back with a few big runs into Cardinal territory. Griffin Oakes hit his third field goal of a game from 41 yards out to give the Hoosiers a 30-0 lead with 10:29 left in the quarter.

After back-to-back punts, freshman Malik Dunner entered the game at running back for Ball State. He ripped off gains of 13 and 23 before Riley Neal found Jordan Hogue for a long pass to the Indiana 4-yard line. Morgan Hagee knocked in a 22-yard field goal to put the Cardinals on the board for the first time with 3:37 left in the third.

Linebacker Sean Wiggins forced a fumble on the next possession, but the ball was ruled out of bounds. The Cardinals instead received a punt and took over at their own 16-yard line with just over a minute left.

Ball State has the ball, 1st-and-10 at the Hoosiers' 41 as the clock runs out.

Indiana leads Ball State 30-3 at the end of the third quarter.

Second Quarter

Indiana benefitted from a quarter-opening offside penalty on second down, but Ricky Brookins fell down after catching a third-down pass and the drive stalled. Punter Joseph Gedeon pinned the Cardinals at their own 3-yard line to start the next drive.

Ball State's KeVonn Mabon cracked 2,000 career receiving yards with a third-down catch on the next drive. The Hoosiers hit Neal for a blind-side sack to end the drive a few plays later, however, and the Cardinals punted again. Indiana takes over on its own 49-yard line.

The Cardinals' defense held again on Indiana's next possession. On 4th-and-2 from the Ball State 43, Richard Lagow was pressured out of the pocket, and came up a yard short of a first down.

After another Ball State punt, running back Mike Majette took a carry 48 yards into Ball State territory. The Hoosiers had no problem moving the ball for the rest of the drive, which ended in a touchdown pass from Lagow to Luke Timian. They lead 17-0 with 3:42 left in the first half.

Riley Neal tried to go deep on the next play to Corey Lacanaria, but overthrew his receiver and it was picked. Indiana has it back at its own 35-yard line.

The Hoosiers added a 49-field goal on their last possession of the half, extending the lead to 20.

At halftime, Indiana leads Ball State 20-0.

First Quarter

Ball State won the coin toss and elected to take the ball first against the Indiana defense. The Cardinals opened with a run and a pass. Riley Neal hit Corey Lacanaria on third down for what would've been a first down, but he fumbled giving the ball to Indiana at the Ball State 26-yard line.

The Hoosiers got the ball inside the 10, but a personal foul penalty backed them up. The 3rd-down completion to Mitchell Paige went for three yards, and Indiana settled for a field goal. Griffin Oakes made a 29-yard field goal to put the Hoosiers up 3-0 with 11:13 remaining.

Indiana's defense forced a three-and-out on the next drive before giving way to the offense. Running back Devine Redding made a couple nice catches and runs before Richard Lagow bombed a 43-yard touchdown to Nick Westbrook. With 8:23 left in the first, the Hoosiers took a 10-0 lead.

Neal and Lacanaria got the next drive started with a 33-yard completion down the seam to put Ball State inside Indiana territory. Facing a third down later in the drive, Neal sat in the pocket and found KeVonn Mabon on a slant to the Indiana 5-yard line. But James Gilbert fumbled, giving Indiana the ball back at its own 3-yard line.

Lagow hit receiver Mitchell Page (4 catches, 43 yards so far) for an 18-yard gain early in the next drive, missed some throws and but the drive stalled. Ball State took over at its own 19-yard line after the punt.

The Cardinals' offense kept its momentum from the previous drive, with Neal hitting Mabon for an 18-yard pickup. Darian Green picked up another first down with an 8-yard run two plays later. Ball State went for it on fourth down at the IU 35-yard line, but the pass in traffic was broken up and fell incomplete.

Indiana is facing a 2nd-and-9 at its own 36 as the quarter concludes.

At the end of the first, the Hoosiers hold a 10-0 lead.