Former Ball State pitcher called up by Cleveland Indians

<p>Perci Garner, former Ball State pitcher, was called up on Aug. 31 by the Cleveland Indians. In the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft, Garner was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the second round.&nbsp;<em>Ball State Photo Services // Photo Provided&nbsp;</em></p>

Perci Garner, former Ball State pitcher, was called up on Aug. 31 by the Cleveland Indians. In the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft, Garner was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the second round. Ball State Photo Services // Photo Provided 

Garner career minor league statistics

3.99 ERA

507.2 innings pitched

409 strikeouts

29 wins

25 losses

9 saves

Former Ball State pitcher Perci Garner was called up by the Cleveland Indians Wednesday.

Garner was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the second round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft after being named first-team All-Mid-American Conference his redshirt sophomore season.

That season, he posted a 4.62 ERA with 83 strikeouts in 74 innings pitched with a 5-3 record. In his career at Ball State, he struck out 107 batters in 94 innings with a 6-3 record and 4.69 ERA.

For two seasons, Garner was also a member of the football team, though he didn't see any snaps. He redshirted his freshman season in 2007 and was the third-string quarterback in 2008, the year the Cardinals finished the regular season with a perfect 12-0 record before dropping the MAC Championship game and the GMAC Bowl en route to their 12-2 finish.

A starter at Ball State, Garner toiled in the Phillies organization, reaching AAA Lehigh Valley for a single start in 2013. He spent the bulk of the 2014 season starting in AA Reading, where he went 4-5 with a 4.85 ERA and 62 strikeouts.

In 2015, he was signed by the Indians as a free agent to be a reliever for Lynchburg of the Carolina League. Since moving to the bullpen, he hasn't posted an ERA above 3.00, and this season he's carried a 1.83 ERA across both AA and AAA ball.

As a reliever, Garner doesn't have a set date to make his debut, but it will likely come against a right-handed batter. Righties have only hit .127 against him in Columbus (AAA) this season.