Ball State soccer looks to improve on scoring chances for rest of season

Junior midfielder/forward Allison Abbe fights for the ball during women's soccer's Aug. 25 match against Xavier University. Ball State tied 1-1 after a double overtime. Kara Berg // DN
Opponents Shots Goals Conversion Rate
vs Eastern Kentucky 18 3 16 percent
vs IUPUI 22 4 18 percent
vs Xavier 21 1 4 percent
vs Fort Wayne 33 9 6 percent

Ball State soccer (3-0-1) maintained its undefeated record after a 1-1 draw with Xavier Aug. 26 and a 2-0 victory against Fort Wayne Aug. 28.

Head coach Craig Roberts, however, said the team still has some work to do after scoring just three goals on 54 shots in its two games over the weekend, a goal conversion rate of just five percent.

Though he’d like that number to be much higher, Roberts said he is pleased with the number of chances the team created.

“That’s the positive we take out of this,” he said. “We’re creating [opportunities], but we just have to polish up on finishing them. We can always improve our finishing — that’s something we’re always working on.”

Sophomore midfielder/forward Emily Scott scored her second goal of the season Aug. 28 against Fort Wayne. She said the Cardinals need to be more selective and take higher-quality shots.

“We just need to compose ourselves in front of goal,” she said. “We know we have the ability to place the ball in the corner rather than kick it at the keeper. We just need to put more focus into our shots.”

Roberts said he would keep tinkering with different playing styles and player combinations until he’s satisfied with the way the attackers have adapted.

“Everybody’s improving,” he said. “We came out with another different lineup and a new way of playing today that we’re trying to implement and the girls did a good job with it.”

The Cardinals will attempt to stretch their unbeaten streak next weekend with a pair of games in the Los Angeles area. They kick off their road trip against Cal State Northridge at 10 p.m. EST on Sept. 2 before taking on Loyola Marymount University at 2 p.m. EST on Sept. 4.