Women's assistant volleyball coach interested in head coach position

<p>Steve Shondell retired from his position as Ball State’s women’s volleyball head coach on March 28, and applicants have already began to show interest in the job</p>

Steve Shondell retired from his position as Ball State’s women’s volleyball head coach on March 28, and applicants have already began to show interest in the job

Kelli Miller

-2016 Delaware County Hall of Fame Inductee

-24-8 in 2013, MAC West Co-Champions 

-25-8 in 2011, at-large bid into NCAA Tournament 

-24-5 in 2010, MAC Champions

-As a former student-athletes: 4 NCAA Tournament appearances

Ball State assistant volleyball coach Kelli Miller coached under recently retired head coach Steve Shondell for six years.

Miller said she looks up to him as a mentor.

“Whether it was Shondell or prior coaches, I just took a little of what I learned from them and implemented it into who I am now as a coach,” she said.

Shondell announced his retirement this year after 40 years of coaching women’s volleyball, his last six with Ball State. Miller is interested in stepping up as head coach, but the administration has made no final decisions concerning the position.

Miller, however, is running the team for the rest of the spring season until the administration picks a new coach.

“If I get hired as head coach, that will be fantastic, and I will look forward to it,” Miller said.

Miller was one of the coaches selected to receive the 2016 American Volleyball Coaches Association Thirty Under 30 Award and was one of only 12 NCAA Division I coaches to win the award this year.

Just 29 years old, Miller has been coaching women’s volleyball at Ball State for six years now.

Ball State is 119-68 with Miller on the coaching staff and won the 2010 MAC regular season championship and the 2013 MAC West Division crown.

As recruiting coordinator in 2015, Miller's freshman class was named to the top 55 incoming classes in the nation by prepvolleyball.com. She said the recruiting performance is one reason why she won the Thirty Under 30 award.

“I was recruiting coordinator for that and had a good hand getting those kids committed to Ball State’s program,” Miller said. “They played a huge role on the court for us this year.”

Keeping her focus on this season, the team will travel to West Lafayette on April 23 to take on Purdue University. 

“The spring is all about our improvement and bettering ourselves," she said. "I can’t wait to see how much better we’ve gotten and would like to see constant improvement at Purdue.”