Track and field transitions to outdoor competition

<p>Then-sophomore Daniell Dahl&nbsp;competes in the 1500 meter race during the meet against IPFW&nbsp;on April 11, 2014&nbsp;at the University Track. DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS</p>

Then-sophomore Daniell Dahl competes in the 1500 meter race during the meet against IPFW on April 11, 2014 at the University Track. DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS

Upcoming Schedule

Sat, Mar 19 - Bulldog Opener

Fri, Apr 01 - Sat, Apr 02 - Stanford Invitational

Sat, Apr 02 - Miami Invitational

Fri, Apr 15 - Sat, Apr 16 - Ball State Challenege

Ball State track and field's 11th place finish at the Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships marks the teams final indoor competition of the season. 

The Cardinals began their indoor season on Dec. 5, 2015 and will compete outdoors until the beginning of June, starting with the Bulldog Opener in Indianapolis on Mar. 19.

Coach Brian Etelman said the team is mentally prepared for the upcoming climate change in its competition.

“Outdoor track is almost a completely different animal than indoor track," Etelman said.

One of the first differences is that indoor track dimensions are smaller than outdoor tracks. Events like the 4x100 meter relay, 10K meter run, hammer throw and javelin throw will finally appear in outdoor track and field season.

Throughout indoor competition, Etelman's team has had numerous career best performances leading up into the MAC Indoor Championships. But Etelman believes that his team is better when competing outdoors. 

“We are a better team, structurally, outdoors than we are indoors because a lot of our talent and potential is in events that you pick up outdoors,” Etelman said.

The team, especially Etelman, is looking forward to the 4x100 meter relay. This a particular event that he believes his team could thrive in once they're introduced to it oudoors.

A more obvious difference in outdoor track and field is that the runners also prone to uncontrolled conditions and elements. 

Even without rain or precipitation, the sun can be a major factor. Indoor track arenas can be kept at a certain temperature and be able to control ventilation. 

Etelman said that the team must travel with tents for shaded areas to keep athletes cool and away from the sun. Water also becomes a key to keep the athletes more hydrated as they adjust to the different conditions.

The first outdoor meet of the outdoor season is the Bulldog Opener on March 19 in Indianapolis.