Men's swimming and diving 1st day of competition ends with record times

<p>The Ball State Men's Swim and Dive team prepares gets ready before&nbsp;the swim and dive meet against IUPUI and the University of Milwaukee on Jan. 23 at Lewellen Pool. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY</p>

The Ball State Men's Swim and Dive team prepares gets ready before the swim and dive meet against IUPUI and the University of Milwaukee on Jan. 23 at Lewellen Pool. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

1st Day Results

1 - Eastern Michigan - 72

2 - Buffalo - 70

3 - Missouri State - 68

4 - Southern Illinois - 62

5 - Miami - 56

6 - Ball State - 52

7 - Evansville - 48

The Ball State men’s swimming and diving team has completed the first night of the 2016 Mid-American Conference Championship Tournament in Ypsilanti, Mich. Scoring 52 points, the team is in sixth place after competing in the first two relay events of the tournament.

The Cardinals ended the first of four days of competition with two new season-best times.

Senior Cole Smith, juniors Logan Kisinger and Bradley Ridge and freshman Zach Reichle opened up the meet competing in the 200 medley relay. The Cardinal squad set a new Ball State record of 1:31.23, while placing sixth overall.

The team kept the momentum going as they competed in the 800 freestyle relay, the second and final race of the day. Junior Tanner Barton, junior JD Middleton, sophomore Banistre Lienhart and junior Andrew Carlson posted a time of 6:51.90, which is also new season best and nearly 20 seconds faster than the previous record. The relay team placed sixth overall.

Eastern Michigan, who is hosting the tournament, leads the competition after the first day having 72 points, while Buffalo is right behind them with 70. Missouri State is in third place with 68 points, while Southern Illinois and Miami University sit in fourth and fifth place.

The Cardinals will return to Jones Natatorium tomorrow morning for preliminary rounds starting at 11 a.m., followed by finals at 7 p.m.