THE DROP: Music to keep you warm during winter months

Zach Burger is a junior audio telecommunications major and writes ‘The Drop’ for the Daily News. His views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Zach at zaburger@bsu.edu.

Winter can be a difficult time to get through for a lot of people, only made worse by being unable to find the music that will sound "just right."

You may listen to music you normally like, and when it doesn't hit you quite the same way, you look for something new. But when that doesn't quite sound right either, then what? I know from experience and from talking to friends that this kind of investment can be disheartening and frustrating, so to help with the search, I've compiled a list of music — old and new — that hopefully hits you in that particular way.

Winter-time classics in the hip-hop realm go deepest for me. Cypress Hill's “Temples of Boom” is one album that I consistently and nostalgically listen through, especially in the winter. I specifically remember the cold weather when one of my best friends first showed me this album, and we continue to listen to it every year about the same time.

Not everyone will warm up to that album, though, so if you're looking for another hip-hop work geared in a different direction, I would recommend D-Wiz and Tahaj the First's “Me and Wiz.” On the whole, it's got the classic neo-hip-hop sound of groups like People Under the Stairs with the effortless and flowing lyrical style of someone like Jurassic Five.

Recently, on the outskirts of hip-hop style, White Bully released something a little more electronic; something a little more indie than most hip-hop. It's a single song, called “o Lord,” which shuffles forward with a groove that pulls you along during that winter lull but isn't too abrasive. It's simple but still packs a punch that’s often been stuck in my head recently.

While we're on the electronic note, I also want to suggest The Black Queen's “The End Where We Start” from the album “Fever Daydream,” released just a few days ago. The closest thing on this list to modern EDM, it's got pretty much all of the elements — those fast hi-hats, breathy vocals and, most importantly, it embodies a lot of feels, particularly that of winter melancholy, in this case.

Zach Burger

Usually when I pull up some indie tunes, it's with the intent of laying in bed and staring at the ceiling while the spirit of David Bazan comes over me. If you've ever found yourself in a similar situation, I suggest checking out Tindersticks. Its new album was just released a little over a week ago and has plenty of that angst I hate to love about indie music.

On the other hand, there's a few songs on the album that take the same vibe and turn it into a mix of funk, jazz and dark, spunky music that puts some pep in your step.

Similar in style, She-Devils released its “She-Devils” EP mid-January, consisting of three songs and a remix that each have a sort of lull. They remind me of a slow and retro Sade, but more playful.

Another good one to check out is Cross Record's “Wabi-Sabi.” This one is not so playful. I would probably consider it the best choice for overcast and gloomy days. If Bjork’s singing was more traditional and her music more acoustic, you would have Cross Record and its experimental-indie duo style.

In the interest of ending on an open note, I would like to suggest Our Solar System's “In Time." It's just one part of a two-song album, but it crosses enough territory to be considered multi-genre. It opens in free-jazz style, bridges into jazz fusion and finishes strong with a samba feel under some classic psychedelic rock spaciness. Technically, it's not released yet, but you can listen to the track and pre-order the album on Bandcamp.

These few pieces of music that have come together are not at all an exhaustive list. If there's something you think fits perfectly with the winter mood, send me an email or leave a comment; maybe someone else will be looking for that exact song.

Stay warm, Cardinals.