Men's volleyball to start Pennsylvania road trip

Members of the men's volleyball team cheer on the team on the sideline during the match against Harvard on Jan. 15 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Upcoming Schedule (all matches at 7 p.m.)

Fri, Jan 22 - at Penn State

Sat, Jan 23 - at Saint Francis

Fri, Jan 29 - at New Jersey Institute of Technology

Sat, Jan 30 - at George Mason

No. 14 Ball State men’s volleyball team hits the road this weekend for the first two matches of a six-match road trip. 

The Cardinals are headed to Pennsylvania for a matchup with No. 10 Penn State (2-2) on Jan. 22 and Saint Francis (1-3) on Jan. 23.

The Cardinals will have to get past Chris Nugent and the Nittany Lions. Nugent has 63 kills through Penn State’s first four games this season. Penn State's only losses came to two teams ranked in the top-five in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) coaches poll. Penn State fell to no. 1 UCLA to five sets and no. 5 Loyola to four sets. 

Last season, the Cardinals defeated the Nittany Lions at Worthen Arena after dropping the first two sets, then responding a three-match rally triggering the upset. 

Ball State is 13-5 all time against the Saint Francis Flash. Last season the Cardinals took a 3-1 win over the Flash to remain undefeated through the first four games of the 2014-2015 season. The Cardinals will need a strong performance from junior middle attacker Alex Pia, who is currently ranked second in the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association conference in blocks per set with 1.21.

The Cardinals return to Worthen on Feb. 11 to host conference rivals Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne.