EACRET'S BEAUTY SECRETS: The best brands for red lips this winter

Paige Eacret is a freshman criminology major and writes "Eacret's Beauty Secrets" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Paige at pmeacret@bsu.edu.

Paige Eacret
What’s the makeup trend this winter? Red lips. According to Harper’s Bazaar, red lips of several shades are moving from the runway to our streets. Several famous designers used the iconic red lip in their fashion shows for fall. Where designers like Dolce and Gabbana and Monique Lhuillier used the classic lip, some designers went for a darker spin. Marc Jacobs and Marchesa opted for a vampire-like, dark wine-colored lip. Such a color has been very popular this season for many high-profile YouTubers, celebrities and everyday citizens. Many makeup brands are continuously running out of stock in both of these select colors.

My favorite product for achieving these looks is both affordable and incredible. Colourpop Cosmetics has a line of liquid-to-matte lipsticks that are to-die-for. Liquid-to-matte lips begin as a lipstick and dry like paint would to your lips. They are long-wearing and definitely worth the price, as they only cost $6. I purchased is “Avenue” for the classic red and “LAX” for dark red.

Although the product is fantastic, I'm giving the title of “featured product” to another. Recently, I made a trip to one of my favorite stores, Ulta, picking up a product that I have used religiously since. The Wonder Stick by NYX Cosmetics is creamy, blendable and has excellent color payoff. If you’re looking for a quick and effortless contour, this is the way to go. As a busy college student and makeup aficionado, I’m always looking for products that work well and can be applied quickly. The retail price for this product is $11.99. That may seem steep for some, but think about what you’re getting. With this, you get creamy contour and gorgeous highlighter. It is available in 4 different shades, including light, medium, deep and universal with shimmer highlighter. I have the universal shade because it works nicely with my skin tone.

Ladies, go for that red lip this season. The color red is bold, confident and sexy. Several Ball State students are already rocking it, so no need to be shy! Red works for everyone if you do it right.

Your face is your canvas.