First Chirp! Chirp! Spirit Scholarship winner announced

Sophomore medical technology student Shelby Sneed celebrates with Charlie Cardinal at the scramble light after winning the Chirp! Chirp! Spirit Scholarship contest. DN PHOTO COLIN GRYLLS

The Ball State Chirp! Chirp! Spirit Scholarship was established by the Athletics Student Rewards Program this season to increase attendance at athletic events. The scholarship proved to be successful, albeit on a smaller scale than originally envisioned.

Increasing attendance and the number of returning spectators, especially among students, were the main goals for Shawn Sullivan, the assistant athletic director for Marketing and Fan Engagement.

“I think it worked out okay,” he said. “It could certainly be better and we’ll see if that’s something we want to continue do. What we do know is that we were able to generate better-than-average crowds at three different events that perhaps normally we wouldn’t have.”

To qualify for the first of two scholarships, students needed to attend the Sept. 25 soccer game against Eastern Michigan, the Oct. 3 women’s volleyball game against Northern Illinois and the Oct. 11 field hockey game against Bellarmine University.

Attendance spiked in the three games that students were required to swipe in at to be eligible for the scholarship.

The soccer and field hockey games set season-high marks (562 and 406, respectively), with both totals surpassing the next-largest totals by more than 150 spectators. Although the crowd of 741 at the women’s volleyball game did not set a season-high, it surpassed the average crowd of 508.

There were other factors that may have contributed to the increase in attendance, like the large turnout from Bellarmine fans at the field hockey game or the fact that certain games were aired on ESPN. 

Sullivan previously said the scholarship was created in order to develop “a growth in attendance, excitement and atmosphere of home Ball State events.” 

Sneed's scholarship pays off half of in-state tuition for a full semester. The total comes out to a little less than $1,900.

Sneed, was the type of person Sullivan envisioned when they created the scholarship, since she had never watched a field hockey game prior to the scholarship contest. 

“I honestly didn’t even know that field hockey was a thing that was done competitively,” she said. “I thought it was more of just a club thing. ... I really honestly didn’t even know we have a team.”

Although she had not attended many games in the past, Sneed plans to watch more Ball State games in the future. This hits the returning attendance that Sullivan is working for.

“Going to games in general, I think, helped me boost my school spirit,” Sneed said. “Not even just the scholarship, but going to a game and seeing how hard our athletes work and seeing how they put everything they have into a game that they love is very rewarding. I was an athlete in high school, so I know what that feels like. … It’s nice to be on the other side of that and see it more than feel it.”

The scholarship also creates an opportunity for students to supplement the costs of college. 

Sneed, currently works at the front desk of the Woodworth Complex to help pay for school.

“It’s going to help so much,” she said. “Right now, I’m working 15 hours a week, sometimes 20, which is the maximum allowed to work on campus as a student, plus my full class load, so it’s going to help a lot.”

There will be a second Chirp! Chirp! Spirit Scholarship awarded to a random student who attends and swipes in at the Oct. 24 football game against Central Michigan.