Ball State to take on 3 undefeated teams in Lipscomb Tournament

Members of the women's volleyball team celebrate after winning the match in the second game of the Active Ankle Tournament against Belmont on Aug. 28 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State - Team statistics

Total attacks - 609

Kills - 230

Attack percentage - .222

Assists per set - 12.8

Service aces - 16

Reception percentage - .931

Total blocks - 39.5

Digs per set - 15.5

"The one issue with the road is the inability to work on things on the court, especially after a loss," head coach Steve Shondell said. "We are going to be talking a lot to each other on the trip to try and fix what we can as a team."

Because the team is on the road, there isn't much time to adjust following its three-set loss. The Cardinals now head into the Lipscomb Tournament Sept. 4 where it will match up against host Lipscomb (3-0), Florida Atlantic (4-0) and Pepperdine (4-0) over a two-day span.

But Shondell knew from the beginning this is what he signed up for. 

"They are some tough teams that are coming our way, but we knew we would playing one of the hardest schedules we've ever had," he said. 

Last year, the Cardinals finished with a 3-6 overall record in three regular season tournaments. They've already matched that win total this season with an Active Ankle Challenge championship last weekend.

Shondell said the Cardinals are gearing up for the postseason Mid-American Conference Tournament, and tough matches will only benefit them.

It also helps to have the experience of six seniors on the roster.

"The seniors have a lot of experience on the road," Shondell said. "They like the challenge and are ready to challenge their teammates to win."

Ball State will begin the tournament with a doubleheader on Sept. 4th. The match against Lipscomb is scheduled for 1:30 p.m., and will be followed by a matchup with Florida Atlantic at 6 p.m. The Cardinals will end the tournament looking for a title on Sept. 5 versus Pepperdine at 1:30 p.m. 

"We know the challenge in front of us and we have had to prepare like this on the road before," Shondell said. "None of this is new to us, so the team feels ready and feels like it can win."