Ball State ends non-conference play with Roberts' 50th career victory

Members of the Ball State soccer team celebrate after scoring a point during the game against the Haiti National team on April 12 at the Briner Sports Complex. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Upcoming schedule

Sept. 25 vs. Eastern Michigan - 5 p.m.

Sept. 27 at Bowling Green - 1 p.m.

Oct. 2 at Toledo - 4 p.m.

Ball State traveled to Morehead State on Sept. 20 and took home a 3-1 victory over the Eagles. Roberts became the second Ball State soccer coach to reach 50 career victories, joining Ron Rainey.

“I was pleased with the way we finished the game,” Roberts said in a statement. “If we would have started the way we finished, we could have made things a little easier on ourselves. But Morehead State is a disciplined team, and this is not an easy place to play.”

The Cardinals finished the non-conference portion of their schedule with a 4-2-2 record.

Against Morehead State, Ball State faced some adversity late in the game. The Eagles (3-5-1) took the lead in the 68th minute on a penalty kick.

This fueled the Cardinals, as they finished the match with three goals in the final 20 minutes. Ball State outshot Morehead State 24-3 in the match with a 15-3 shots-on-goal advantage.

“We got plenty of shots,” Roberts said. “We have to play the opportunity. You can have a lot of shots, [but] just need to convert earlier.”

Freshman Abbie Boswell scored her third goal of the season in the 70th minute, tying the match at 1-1.

The Cardinals then scored two goals within two minutes of each other. Senior Chelsy Shwackhamer scored in the 85th minute and junior Gabby Veldman added some insurance in the 87th minute to pull away.

“We changed a few things up in the final minutes,” Roberts said. “We started getting better contact with our kicks.”

The Cardinals ended the long road trip with a 2-1-2 record after playing matches at LSU, IPFW and Indiana, in addition to Morehead State. Ball State will begin Mid-American Conference play on Sept. 25 with a home match against Eastern Michigan.

Ball State broke the soccer attendance record with its home opener against Wright State, and Roberts said he hopes to see many of the Cardinal fans for the MAC home opener.

Playing on the road has prepared them for MAC play, he added.

“We know how to play on the road, and it was help us as we move into MAC play where we expect to do good things,” Roberts said.