Injuries give young players chance to step up

Sophomore outside hitter Bailey Baumer attempts to hit the ball over the net in the second game of the Active Ankle Tournament against Belmont on Aug. 28 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BROOK HAYNES

Upcoming schedule

Sept. 2 - 7 p.m. at IUPUI

Sept. 4-5 - at Lipscomb Invitational

Sept. 11-12 - at Washington State University Cougar Challenge

Sept. 16 - 7 p.m. vs. IPFW

When the season began, Sabrina Mangapora and Mackenzie Kitchel were expected to be key performers for the Ball State women's volleyball team.

Before the first tournament of the year, however, both players went down with unspecified injuries.

The severities of the injuries are unknown, so head coach Steve Shondell isn't sure how much time they'll miss. It takes some veteran presence away from the court, but Shondell is confident in his young players to fill the void.

"These are pretty big losses," Shondell said, "but the positive coming out of it is that it gives some freshmen chances to gain experience and show what they can do under the lights."

Behind senior play and the emergence of some freshmen and sophomores, the Cardinals are off to a 3-0 start this season. They are the only remaining undefeated team in the Mid-American Conference. 

Shondell said the losses of Mangapora and Kitchel are forcing Ball State to reorganize on the fly.

Mangapora, an outside hitter, was second on the team last season with 289 kills. She made an impact last season for a team needing offensive help.

Kitchel is also a very capable player on the court. She finished the 2014 season with 139 kills, 36 digs and 25 blocks in just 85 sets played. Her two seasons of experience at Ball State are beneficial in pressure situations.

While it is impossible to replace both players, the Cardinals found a way to come away with three wins in their absence.

"Each one of the freshmen have stepped up to the plate and done a very good job of handling the pressure and performing," senior Alex Fuelling said. "They knew what they were getting into when they joined our squad, and they have done what we expected."

Ball State has six true freshmen and two redshirt freshmen on its roster this season. The team also features four sophomores.

Freshman Emily Holland impressed Shondell during the Active Ankle Challenge, recording 24 kills, five digs and eight blocks over the three-match span. She is tied for third on the team in kills.

"Holland came out of nowhere and really surprised me with her performance," Shondell said. "She was everywhere on the court and really helped us pick up some pressure points."

She is tied in kills with sophomore Bailey Baumer, who has already exceeded her statistics from last year.

"[Baumer] has really taken this year head-first and is starting to impress me and the team," Shondell added.

Overall, the freshmen have collected 39 kills, 10 digs and 16 blocks this season, a number that will only increase as the season moves forward. 

With Ball State heading on the road for most of September, the young players will be expected to step forward and carry their confidence on the road with them.

"They are getting the much-needed experience and so far haven't seemed to feel pressured under the lights and have instead been excited to play," senior Jenna Spadafora said. "It'll be great to see what they do next."