FILM ANNALYSIS: Summer offers range of interesting, new sci-fi films

Anna Bowman is a senior English and telecommunications major and writes ‘Film Annalysis’ for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Anna at aabowman@bsu.edu.

Amidst the much-anticipated “Jurassic World,” “Mad Max” and “Terminator” franchises coming out with new movies this summer, there are some brand-new sci-fi films worth looking into in the upcoming months.

Anna Bowman

“Area 51”

Release Date: May 15

If you’re looking for a sci-fi movie that will scare the pants off you, look no further than this one, written and directed by Oren Peli, the man responsible for “Paranormal Activity.”

This film is about three young conspiracy theorists on a mission to get to the bottom of what the government has been hiding for years.

With creative ways to break into the supposed alien base, including ammonia pills and rayon suits, the three expose way more than E.T. and Flubber and they are left with more questions than answers.

Also, have you heard of Glenn Campbell? Because he’s in the movie. Yes, the 1990’s UFO expert and Area 51 spokesman makes this horror movie seem even more real by playing himself, a role no one else could fulfill.

“Self/less”

Release Date: July 10

This thriller with a sci-fi edge centers on a rich man with a problem – and no, it’s nothing like “50 Shades of Grey.”

This man, played by Academy Award winner Ben Kingsley, is dying of cancer and is presented with a controversial solution – to take on another body.

Matthew Goode stars as the Frankenstein-esque scientist who presents Kingsley with the a medical procedure that can take the consciousness from a dying man and insert it into a young, healthy and in this case, handsome substitute, played by Ryan Reynolds.

This film continues on a downward spiral of mystery, corruption and strange side effects as he delves deeper into who the body belonged to and how it was acquired.

“Absolutely Anything”

Release Date: August 14

You’re going to need to sit down for this one. This movie is a perfect storm of British and American comedy legends, starring the cast of “Monty Python,” Simon Pegg and Eddie Izzard, in addition to the late comic genius, Robin Williams.

Yes, you read right. What is it doing in an article about sci-fi movies, you ask? Well, it’s about aliens and superpowers, of course. What else?

Pegg plays an everyday schoolteacher who is suddenly given the power to make everything he’s always wished for come true by King Arthur and his knights – I mean … a group of aliens. Williams plays the voice of Pegg’s dog, naturally.

The movie goes on a whirlwind of wish fulfillment with varying consequences that are sure to get a lot of laughs but also include some social commentary, true to the “Monty Python” way.