Return of Schifferdecker adds to strong pitching staff

Sophomore Kelsey Schifferdecker pitches during the game against Toledo on April 6 at the Ball State Softball Complex. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State team pitching statistics

Earned run average - 4.69

Complete games - 18

Shutouts - 4/1

Hits allowed - 322

Strikeouts - 195

Walks - 152

Batting average against - .304

When the 2015 season began, the Ball State softball team was looking to ride the arms of juniors Nicole Steinbach and Kelsey Schifferdecker.

Schifferdecker was injured early in the season and forced to miss time, however.

But with Steinbach's 11 wins on the season and the return of Schifferdecker last week, Ball State has won seven of its last eight games and sits alone atop the Mid-American Conference West Division.

"We finally got [Schifferdecker] some time, and now we are just going to take it slow and watch how she performs and keep letting her ease back," head coach Tyra Perry said. "But we aren't sure when she could start again."

Last season, Schifferdecker finished the season with a 15-6 record and team-best 3.36 earned run average. She trailed only Steinbach with 139.2 innings pitched.

Schifferdecker's first appearance back from injury came in an inning of relief behind Steinbach against Eastern Illinois on April 7, striking out the first batter she saw.

Steinbach leads the staff with 136.1 innings pitched this season. She has thrown two complete-game shutouts in her last two starts, and has won her last five starts overall.

"I've been working a lot with our pitching coach Kassie Stanfill, toolboxing and working on different pitches," Steinbach said.

Ball State also shut out Bowling Green on April 12 in a 9-0 victory.

Freshman Carolyn Wilmes started the game, pitching 4.2 innings in the win. Wilmes has a 6-5 record this season with a 4.91 earned run average in 11 starts.

She has thrown the second-most innings on the team due to Schifferdecker's missed time.

"[Wilmes] has been pitching really well and growing fast, and handling the workload very well for a freshman," Perry said. 

Sophomore Jocelyn Rivera pitched 0.1 innings in relief in Wilmes' last start, throwing only one pitch to get the out. Rivera has already exceeded her 2014 innings total with 34.2 this season.

Adding Schifferdecker to a rotation with Steinbach, Wilmes and Rivera could help improve the staff heading into the last part of the season.

Although there is experience, the rotation for the Cardinals is young. Junior Sammi Cowger and sophomore Amanda Arnett have also pitched for the Cardinals this season.

Steinbach looks for the group to make an impact not only this season, but in the future as well.

"The future looks good for Ball State's pitching," Steinbach said. "With [Schifferdecker] coming back, and our constant practice and work on our pitching, we will only become better and stronger."