Offense bests defense in Ball State's spring scrimmage

The Ball State football team hosted it's spring game on April 18 at Scheumann Stadium. Family members and friends were welcomed onto the field after the game. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

In a game where the offense is heavily favored to win, it is more important to look at performances and trends rather than the scoreboard.

Junior Jack Milas played quarterback with the first-team offense and completed 21 of 26 passes, while throwing for 196 yards and two touchdowns.

“I felt good,” Milas said. “I just gotta keep working hard ... [The offense] looks more in sync [than last year], and we just got to keep going and there's a lot to improve until fall.”

Senior quarterback Ozzie Mann, who was benched in favor of Milas last season, completed 13 of his 17 pass attempts for 169 yards, highlighted by a 69-yard completion and a touchdown.

While the battle for the starting quarterback is still open, the running back situation seems to be falling into place.

Freshman running back James Gilbert had the strongest performance of any running back on the ground today carrying the ball 11 times while rushing for 47 yards including a 15-yard touchdown that saw him stretching out to reach the pylons. Despite Gilbert's strong performance it was not enough to secure the starting role, said head coach Pete Lembo.

“If we had to play tomorrow, [sophomore] Darian Green would be our starter, and Teddy Williamson and James Gilbert would certainly play a lot,” Lembo said.

With last season's starting running back Jahwan Edwards hoping to hear his name called at the NFL Draft, the upcoming season will more than likely be tailback by committee.

While Lembo was happy with the offense's performance, he hoped the defense would have come out stronger at the start.

Some of the defenses struggles were due to senior linebackers Julian Boyd and Zach Martin, sophomore linebacker Damon Singleton and senior safeties Dae'Shaun Hurley and Aaron Taylor missing the game due to health concerns.

After starting slow in the first quarter, the defense picked it up and put together a sold game forcing a handful of turnovers.

One of the surprise defensive performances included senior defensive end Joshua Posley.

“Every year in the spring game, it always seems like a couple guys step up and show you that they can do it once the lights go on, and Josh Posley was certainly one of those guys today,” Lembo said.

The battle for the starting defensive end role between Posley and senior Osazuwamen Igbinosun will continue into the preseason.

While the summer can be a dangerous time for athletes to fall out of shape, Lembo doesn't think it will be a problem for his players.

“We have one of the best strength coaches in America, and I think a lot of people appreciate [what a great job Dave Feeley does],” Lembo said. “I know a lot of quality work will get done with these guys this summer, and then it's up to the players and the staff to pick it up and take a step forward when preseason rolls around.”

Ball State kicks off its regular season on Sept. 3, hosting VMI at Scheumann Stadium.