Ball State takes game 1 of doubleheader agains Eastern Illinois

Members of the Ball State softball team cheer during the second game of the double header against Western Kentucky at First Merchants Ballpark Complex on March 21. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Ball State Pitching Statistics

Stat:                              Innings   Earned Runs  Strikeouts

Nicole Steinbach               6                  0                 3

Kelsey Schifferdecker       1                  0                 1

Ball State Pitching Statistics
Stat:
Innings
Earned Runs
Strikeouts
Nicole Steinbach
6
0
3
Kelsey Schifferdecker
1
0
1

The Ball State softball team took a break from Mid-American Conference play and defeated Eastern Illinois 7-2 in the first game of a double header on April 7. 

Ball State's defense got off to a rough start in the first inning with two errors leading to two Eastern Illinois' runs. 

After allowing the two first inning runs, Ball State pitcher Nicole Steinbach kept Eastern Illinois off the board, pitching six innings and only giving up four hits with three strikeouts and one walk. 

"Nicole pitched a great game for us and we always feel like we have a chance to win with her on the mound," Ball State head coach Tyra Perry said.

The Cardinals answered in the second inning, when Hanne Stuedemann hit a single and advanced to third on a single by Jessica Craft. Craft stole second and reached third on a poor throw that also allowed Stuedemann to steal home.

With one out, the bases were be loaded for Taylor Cooley, who would reach on a fielder's choice and Hayley Cruthers would score off an error by Eastern Illinois' catcher to tie the game. 

The next batter, Selena Reyna, hit a hard shot down the left field line that would clear the to make the score 5-2. 

"We had a lot of good hitting today," Perry said. "I think the girls are finally starting to hit a stride in terms of offensive consistency. These kind of games against non-conference teams are crucial for us to figure out who we are and be prepared as the season keeps moving deeper into conference play."

Ball State added two runs to its lead in the sixth inning - a double from Reyna scored India Steward and gave her a season-high of four RBIs, followed by Reyna scoring on an Emily Dabkowski single that the pitcher threw wild of third base.

Kelsey Schifferdecker would come in to pitch for the seventh inning and close out the game for Ball State, walking one and striking out one, but allowed no hits to secure the victory.

Steinbach earned the win for the Cardinals.

The win was Ball State's third straight, who improved to 17-18 on the season and are 4-1 in the MAC. 

Ball State Pitching Statistics
Stat:
Innings
Earned Runs
Strikeouts
Nicole Steinbach
6
0
3
Kelsey Schifferdecker
1
0
1