Ball State finishes regular season with 13-15 record

Junior outside attacker Marcin Niemczewski jumps to hit the ball during the game against McKendree on Feb. 20 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

MIVA Standings

Lewis - 22-2 (13-1)

Loyola (Ill.) - 20-2 (12-2)

Ohio State - 21-6 (11-3)

IPFW - 17-10 (7-7)

Lindenwood - 11-11 (6-9)

Ball State - 13-15 (6-10)

Quincy - 13-13 (5-10)

Grand Canyon - 13-15 (4-10)

McKendree - 11-17 (1-13)

Despite the losing record, head coach Joel Walton is looking for improvement in his team as the MIVA Tournament approaches.

"We knew this year was going to be a challenge, and we knew that we had to get our team better in a lot of different areas," Walton said. "We've seen good improvement, and we've seen our guys struggle to play consistently. And that's what's going to be crucial in these last few weeks of the season."

Ball State began the season on a high note, starting out 7-1.

The Cardinals concluded the first half of the season with a 9-5 record. This included wins over nationally-ranked Penn State and Ohio State.

Consistency issues and injuries plagued Ball State in the second half of its season, however. The team finished with a 4-10 record in the final 14 matches of the season, which included a six-match losing streak.

Several starters suffered injuries for the Cardinals down the stretch.

Junior Marcin Niemczewski, seniors Matt Sutherland and Shane Witmer and freshman Matt Walsh were all forced to miss time at some point due to various injuries.

Walton said the time leading up to the MIVA Tournament is a valuable time to rest players.

"I think it is an opportunity for us to train and intermingle some opportunities to take some days off," Walton said. "It's going to be important for our guys to rest their bodies and help out the soreness and tiredness that they've been feeling throughout the end of this season."

The Cardinals are the lone MIVA team to finish their regular season, according to the league's schedule.

While it is uncertain what seed it will get in the tournament, Ball State is currently sixth in the league standings. There is a possibility of a three-way tie if Quincy defeats Lindenwood on April 17.