Ball State falls to Toledo in 2nd game of doubleheader

Junior second basemen Emily Dabkowski runs to home plate after a home run  against IPFW March 18 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex.  DN PHOTO MAKAYLA JOHNSON
Junior second basemen Emily Dabkowski runs to home plate after a home run against IPFW March 18 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex. DN PHOTO MAKAYLA JOHNSON

Upcoming Schedule

April 11 - at Bowling Green - 2 p.m.

April 12 - at Bowling Green - 1 p.m

Toledo jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first, but Ball State answered in the top of the third when Jessica Craft hit a triple with runners on third and second. Craft later scored on a throw to give Ball State a 3-1 lead. 

Toledo scored three runs in the bottom of the third, two in the bottom of the fourth and another two in the bottom of the fifth to take a 8-3 lead. 

Ball State started a comeback in the sixth inning, scoring a run off a double by Selena Reyna, driving in Taylor Cooley from first.

Down four runs in the last inning, a Ball State double by McAnally drove in India Steward and Emily Dabkowski to cut the lead in half with no outs. McAnally reached third on a throw and was replaced by Craft as the runner.

A sacrifice fly by Shelbie Scamihorn allowed Craft to score and bring Ball State within one of Toledo. However, the Cardinals' comeback would be quickly cut off as the Rockets got out the next two batters to slip away with a victory. 

"The girls never gave up today and came very close to getting the sweep." Head coach Tyra Perry said. "We had the lead and we let it slip away, we have to learn not to let that happen or else more results like this will happen."

The loss ends the Cardinals five-game winning streak and drops their record to 19-19 on the season. Ball State also falls out of a tie with Northern Illinois for the lead in the Mid-American Conference West Division with Northern Illinois.  

Ball State remains on the road against Bowling Green (13-17; 4-4 MAC) on April 11. That game begins at 2 p.m.