Ball State falls in final inning against Purdue

Senior catcher Jessica Craft smiles after sliding into third base during the first game of the double header against Western Kentucky at First Merchants Ballpark Complex on March 21. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Team Statistics

Stat:                 Runs      Hits       Home Runs      Walks       Errors

Ball State           9            8                  2                   3             1

Purdue              10           13                0                   1             1

Team Statistics
Stat:
Runs
Hits
Home Runs
Walks
Errors
Ball State
9
8
2
3
1
Purdue
10
13
0
1
1

A seventh-inning rally led the Purdue Boilermakers to a 10-9 victory over Ball State on their home field April 1. 

The Cardinals led 4-0 early and 9-8 entering the seventh, but the Boilermakers earned the victory.

Both teams got into an offensive rhythm early. Ball State put up four runs in the first behind two hits and good base-running.

The Boilermakers answered back with two runs of their own in the bottom half to cut the lead to 4-2.

Senior Jessica Craft broke the tie in the third with her fifth home run of the season, putting the Cardinals up 5-2. 

Purdue recorded four runs on four hits in the bottom of the third, however, and took the lead 6-5.

A three-run home run from junior Emily Dabkowski capped off a four-run inning and put the Cardinals back on top, 9-6. The home run was Dabkowski's ninth of the season.

Ball State failed to score the last three innings, however.

"They put in a new pitcher that knew how to throw the ball against us, so we struggled to get in a groove against her," head coach Tyra Perry said.

With Gina Snyder on the mound, Purdue got back into the game. The Boilermakers scored a run in the fourth and fifth inning to pull the lead within one at 9-8. 

The Boilermakers got into scoring position in the seventh with a runner on second and third with no outs. Purdue scored on a throwing error by first baseman Sammi Cowger and picked up the win.

Snyder got the win on the mound to remain undefeated at 6-0, while Ball State's Nicole Steinbach finished with the loss and fell to 7-9 on the season.

"We played really good and played a near-perfect game at the start, we just have to learn how to finish," Perry said.

With the loss, the Cardinals fell to 14-17 on the season. Ball State will return to action on April 3 with a double header against Kent State.

Team Statistics
Stat:
Runs
Hits
Home Runs
Walks
Errors
Ball State
9
8
2
3
1
Purdue
10
13
0
1
1