Ball State defeats Eastern Illinois in extra innings

Sophomore pitcher Jocelyn Rivera pitches against IPFW March 18 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex.  DN PHOTO MAKAYLA JOHNSON
Sophomore pitcher Jocelyn Rivera pitches against IPFW March 18 at the Softball Field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex. DN PHOTO MAKAYLA JOHNSON

Team Statistics

Stat:                      Runs       Hits       Errors

Eastern Illinois         3            10           1

Ball State                 4             5            1

Team Statistics
Stat:
Runs
Hits
Errors
Eastern Illinois
3
10
1
Ball State
4
5
1

The Cardinals kept their momentum from game one, scoring two runs in the first inning.

Selena Reyna, who had a season-high four RBIs in the first game, started the game with a lead-off home run, her fifth of the season. A throwing error scored left-fielder Loren Cihlar from third to make it 2-0.

Starting pitcher Carolyn Wilmes kept Eastern Illinois off the scoreboard for four innings, allowing five hits and striking out one.

"Wilmes pitched great for us and has done so all season," head coach Tyra Perry said. "We would have loved to see her finish the game but we decided to switch for Jocelyn [Rivera]."

After the Panthers put up two in before Wilmes left the game, Rivera replaced her.

Neither team was able to grab the lead in the next two innings, as they went into extra innings. The Cardinals earned an extra inning victory against Buffalo on April 4.

"It wasn't something new to us, so we thought we could handle ourselves and pick up the win," Perry said.

Eastern Illinois put a run on the board in the top of the eighth, putting pressure on Ball State. The Cardinals responded by loading the bases with right-fielder Hanne Stuedemann at the plate in the bottom half.

Stuedemann's hit stayed in the infield, but Reyna beat the throw home and tied the game 3-3. Two batters later, with one out and the bases still loaded, catcher Shelbie Scamihorn was hit by a pitch that scored the winning run.

Rivera moved to 2-2 on the season with the win on the mound. She pitched four innings with three strikeouts.

With the win, the Cardinals are now 18-18 on the season with their fourth consecutive victory overall. They will return to action on April 10 with a doubleheader at Toledo.

Team Statistics
Stat:
Runs
Hits
Errors
Eastern Illinois
3
10
1
Ball State
4
5
1