Ball State defeats Miami University 4-0 in home opener

Freshman catcher Jarett Rindleisch hits the ball in the game against Eastern Michigan on April 5 at Ball Diamond. Rindfleisch had three RBIs. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Miami University vs. Ball State

Stat:             Runs        Hits        Errors

Miami             0               4            3

Ball State       4               8            2

The Ball State baseball team won its first game on the newly-renovated Ball Diamond of the First Merchants Ballpark Complex, defeating the Miami Redhawks 4-0.

With the win, the Cardinals improve to 8-7 on the season.

Five different Ball State pitchers combined to hold Miami scoreless on four hits. Miami loaded the bases three different times, but failed to drive in a run.

Freshman Trevor Henderson got the start on the mound, picking up the win while throwing three innings and striking out five Redhawks. 

Junior Matt Haro pitched two-thirds of an inning, and fifth-year senior Devin Wilburn struck out four batters in his 3.1 innings of work, allowing one hit.

Sophomores David Current and B.J. Butler each threw an inning of relief also.

Offensively, sophomore catcher Jarrett Rindfleisch's big day led the Cardinals. He got the scoring started in the second inning with a solo shot, his first home run of the season.

He finished the game 1-3 with two runs and three RBIs.

Designated hitter Zach Plesac drove in Rindfleisch with a sacrifice fly in the fourth inning. Plesac was 1-3 on the day.

Eight different Cardinals recorded a hit in the game. Sophomore Alex Maloney finished 1-2 in the game with two runs scored.

Ball State will return to action at 3 p.m. March 13 as it travels to take on Dayton for the first of a four-game series over the weekend.