Ball State to open home schedule against IPFW, Western Kentucky

Head coach Tyra Perry speaks with outfielder Loren Cihlar during a practice. Perry inherited a team that finished 18-3 in the MAC last season. PHOTO PROVIDED ATHLETICS MEDIA RELATIONS

Upcoming Home Schedule 

Mar. 18 - vs. IPFW - 2:30 p.m.

Mar. 18 - vs. IPFW - 5 p.m.

Mar. 21 - vs. Western Kentucky - 1 p.m.

Mar. 21 - vs. Western Kentucky - 3 p.m.

Mar. 22 - vs. Western Kentucky - 1 p.m.

After a month on the road to begin the season, the Ball State softball team will play its home opener March 18 as the start of a five-game week.

The Cardinals will play their first game at the newly-renovated softball field at the First Merchants Ballpark Complex.

"It's unbelievable, we were able to practice on the dirt and the turf together for the first time yesterday," head coach Tyra Perry said. "You can just tell our excitement level elevated because of that opportunity."

Perry said the new turf has allowed the team to prepare sooner and deal with harsh weather conditions.

Ball State has also dealt with weather on the road, and is 11-13 overall. The Cardinals are coming off of two straight losses in the Louisville Classic ending on March 8. 

The Cardinals will look to rebound in their home opener against the IPFW Mastodon, who are 0-18 on the season. 

But despite its record, Perry said Ball State is focused on its own play.

"Well for us, it's always been, 'it's not about the other team,'" she said. "We've always got to make sure we're out playing our game that we play the best ... Because if we start focusing on the other team, there are things in that scenario that we can't control."

Ball State's second opponent of the weekend has even more direct ties than just the in-state connection between the Cardinals and Mastodons. 

Western Kentucky (10-5) will visit Ball State for a three-game set, beginning with a doubleheader on March 21. Perry coached the Hilltoppers for six seasons, ending in 2013.

The second-year Ball State coach faced a similar situation earlier this season at her alma-mater, LSU.

"Before and after the game are two different things," Perry said. "There are great human beings that I was very close with and did a lot of hard work for me while I was there, and I won a championship with ... On the field, they're another opponent."

Ball State will look to use its versatile lineup to improve collectively and get back over the .500 mark on the season. 

Perry said adversity has helped her team in some ways, including different players seeing time and gaining valuable game experience.

"When things are easy, you don't necessarily see the fight and resiliency you need in your team," Perry said. "When things are tougher ... being home makes it that much more sweet."

Ball State will hit the field against IPFW at 2:30 p.m. March 18.