Ball State splits doubleheader against Buffalo

The Ball State baseball team congratulates junior infielder Ryan Spaulding after scoring a home run during the first game of the double header against Buffalo on March 28 at First Merchants Ballpark Complex. DN PHOTO ALAINA JAYE HALSEY

Upcoming Schedule

12 p.m. on March 29 vs. Buffalo

3 p.m. on March 31 vs. Valparaiso

3 p.m. on April 1 at Indiana State

The Ball State baseball team split a doubleheader on March 28 against Buffalo, suffering its first loss in 11 games in the second game of the day.

The Cardinals defeated the Bulls 6-4 in the first game and dropped the second game 14-1.

Buffalo jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning of the first game. However, Ball State responded with three runs in the third to take the lead.

Center fielder Matt Eppers singled home left fielder Scott Tyler for the first run of the inning. Junior Ryan Spaulding singled home two more runs to take the lead.

Spaulding was 2-4 in the game with three RBIs. Tyler, Eppers and freshman Colin Brockhouse had two hits apiece.

Buffalo scored a run in the fourth to tie the game, and Ball State made a pitching change after the fifth. Starter Zach Plesac gave up two earned on two hits with seven strikeouts.

The Cardinals added a run in the fifth, sixth and eighth inning to hold off the Bulls and earn the victory.

Fifth-year senior Devin Wilburn got the win on the mound, throwing 1.2 innings. He allowed two hits and no runs with two strikeouts.

In game two, Buffalo led 4-1 entering the ninth inning. The Bulls put up 10 runs in the inning to seal the victory. 

Starting pitcher Scott Baker pitched six innings and allowed three earned runs. He gave up six hits and two walks while striking out eight. 

With the split, the Cardinals are now 17-8 overall and 4-1 in Mid-American Conference play. The teams meet on March 29 to decide the three-game set.