Ball State falls 16-1 to Indiana in final game of Snowbird Classic

Freshman outfielder Alex Call runs to home plate in the game against Bowling Green on March 21 at Ball Diamond. Call is one of four freshman creating a strong offense on the team. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Score by Inning

Inning             1      2      3      4      5      6      7      8      9

Ball State       0      0       0      0      0      0      0      0      1

Indiana           2      1       2      2      4      0      0      5      0

The Ball State baseball team suffered a 16-1 defeat to in-state foe Indiana in its final game of the Snowbird Classic in Port Charlotte, Fla.

Indiana's Jake Kelzer put together six innings of no-hit baseball that was broken up by an Alex Call hit in the seventh inning. 

At this point, Indiana had amounted a sizable 11-0 lead, scoring in each of the first five innings.

Call would go on to have two of the three Ball State hits on the day, with the other coming from sophomore centerfielder Matt Eppers.

Eppers scored the Cardinals' lone run in the contest as well, crossing the plate in the ninth inning.

Score by Inning
Inning
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
Ball State
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
1
Indiana
2
1
2
2
4
0
0
5
0

Senior Scott Baker was the starting pitcher for the Cardinals, but would only last a little over three innings with freshmen Trevor Simon and Colin Brockhouse, along with fifth-year senior Devin Wilburn sharing time in the final six innings.

Ball State finished with a 2-2 record in the Snowbird Classic, with wins against Maine and Dartmouth while losing to Northwestern and Indiana. The Cardinals are now 7-7 on the season.

Ball State will return to action on March 10 in its home opener against Miami University at the newly renovated Ball Diamond. The game is set to begin at 3 p.m.