Ball-State extends streak to 8 with weekend sweep

Freshman infielder Alex Maloney celebrates with sophomore outfielder Cole Griesinger after an inning in the game against Eastern Michigan on April 5 at Ball Diamond. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Upcoming Schedule

March 25 - vs. Purdue - 3 p.m.

March 27 - vs. Buffalo - 3 p.m.

March 28 - vs. Buffalo - 1 p.m.

March 29 - vs. Buffalo - 1 p.m.

Ball State opened Mid-American Conference play with a three-game sweep at Bowling Green to improve its win streak to eight straight.  

“If we keep playing solid baseball, keep throwing strikes and get a timely hit we will keep the win streak going," Ball State head coach Rich Maloney said. 

On March 20, Ball State defeated Bowling Green 7-0 in the first game of the series. The Cardinals recorded 18 hits in the game. 

Senior Elbert Devarie went 4-5 at the plate, and sophomore Zach Plesac threw a three-hit shutout to help the Cardinals earn their first win in conference play.

The Cardinals and Falcons met two more times on March 21. Ball State claimed a 6-1 victory in the first game. Ball State slowed down offensively, posting six hits. However, a mix of solid defense and pitching from senior Scott Baker earned the win. 

Maloney said the things that jumped out most in the weekend victories was the discipline and focus in the field.

“Practice - the guys put in a lot of time - pitching and defense is crucial to any team that is successful," Maloney said. "They work together, and we take pride in that. Fielding .970 to .975 [in the] field is my expectations for this team.”

Pitching and defense helped lead the Cardinals to a 5-2 win in game three to complete the weekend sweep.

Ball State gained an early 2-0 lead after the third inning, but Bowling Green tied it in the seventh. In the eighth inning, the Cardinals scored three runs to pull ahead and win the game.

Freshman Brendan Burns and sophomore B.J. Butler combined to allow two runs (one earned) on 10 hits.The duo had six strikeouts and three walks.

Ball State is alone in first place in the MAC West Division with a 3-0 record in league play. 

The Cardinals will take on in-state foe Purdue on March 25 before hosting MAC opponent Buffalo in a three-game series beginning on March 27.

Looking forward, Maloney said the team needs to continue its efficiency both offensively and defensively to be successful. 

"Our mantra will be the same, stay out of the big inning," Maloney said. "Names will be different of guys who will be successful, but that’s when you have a successful team. It's not one guy but it’s a group, and that’s one thing that’s so exciting about this team”.