Ball State defeats Dayton 15-4 in 3rd game of series

Freshman infielder Alex Maloney gets ready to throw the ball in the game against Eastern Michigan on April 5 at Ball Diamond. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Upcoming Schedule

Mar. 18 - vs. Rutgers - 3 p.m.

Mar. 20 - at Bowling Green - 3 p.m.

Mar. 21 - at Bowling Green - 1 p.m.

Mar. 22 - at Bowling Green - 1 p.m.

Ball State and Dayton met for the third time in two days, and the Cardinals completed the weekend sweep with a 15-4 victory.

Ball State had won the first two games 9-6 and 5-4.

Ball State started strong in the first inning with four runs. Sophomore Alex Call scored fellow sophomores Alex Maloney and Sean Kennedy with an RBI double. Senior Brandon Estep also hit an RBI double.

Starting pitcher Brendan Burns allowed one hit in the first, but kept the Flyers off the scoreboard.

Ball State matched its production in the first inning with four more runs in the second. Maloney scored on a wild pitch, and junior Ryan Spaulding had an RBI single. Senior Elbert Devarie finished the scoring with a two-run homer.

The scoring in the third inning was more evenly matched, as both teams put up one run.

After a short fourth inning, Maloney recorded an RBI in the fifth to push the Cardinals' lead to 10-1.

Ball State controlled the game into the later innings, putting up four more runs in the seventh. With the game out of reach, Dayton scored three runs in the eighth inning to make it 14-4.

Maloney scored another run in the top of the ninth for the final score of the game. Maloney finished with four of fifteen Ball State runs.

With three weekend victories, Ball State extended its winning streak to four wins in a row and is now 11-7 on the season.

"Several player stepped up this week;  Devarie [was] 6-11 — a great weekend — Maloney had a big game, and Butler did really well for us at the end," head coach Rich Maloney said. "Several guys played several roles, and it was a great team win that we can build on in the future."