Sisters share bond through gymnastics

Sophomore Sarah Ebeyer talks with her teammates during the gymnastics meet against Western Michigan on Feb. 12th in Irving Gymnasium. DN PHOTO JESSICA LYLE

Sarah Ebeyer Bio

Position - Vault, Balance Beam, Floor

Year - Sophomore

Hometown - Whiteland, Ind.

High school - Whiteland

Club - Wrights Gymnastics Academy

Sarah Ebeyer and her older sister Kimberly started gymnastics when they were three and five years old respectively. The sisters attended Whiteland High School together, went to the gym together, came home together and ate together.

When Kimberly went to Eastern Michigan University, Sarah said it took time getting used to doing everything they used to do together, alone. Sarah later committed to Ball State.

Ball State traveled to Eastern Michigan on Sunday to compete. While the Cardinals lost the meet 195.275-193.875, Sarah said it wasn’t about the score for them.

“It’s not even really competing against each other, it’s being with each other,” Sarah said. “It’s always just a fun, friendly environment.”

Sarah said the two of them “bond like crazy over gymnastics,” and it has made them that much closer since they were always together as kids.

Being in the Mid-American Conference, the two schools meet up yearly, allowing for the sisters to see each other.

“It’s nice being able to look forward to one meet where we both get to see each other,” Sarah said. “Sometimes we’ll go the entire time from Christmas without seeing each other.”

Sarah and Kimberly's scheduling is also hectic for their parents. Two younger brothers involved in sports as well leads to weekend conflicts.

Originally from Whiteland, Ind., Sarah said her parents decide whose competition is closer.

“My parents usually try to make the trip," Sarah said. "With our crazy schedule this year, it’s been nice that they can go see her Friday and then make the trip back and come see me compete Sunday, if it works like that.”

David Ebeyer, the girl's father, said it's unique and fun having daughters on both teams to support. Their mom, Jennifer had a shirt made with a Ball State button on one side, and an EMU button on the other side for the match against one another.

“Now that they’re obviously against each other, but they still love each other as sisters,” he said. “They are the best of friends. When it comes to that I’m pretty lucky to have daughters that close to each other, but when it comes to competing, it‘s like ‘hey, may the best bird win,’ so to speak.”

Despite being on separate teams, Sarah and Kimberly are always there for each other to talk.

Sarah said that because a lot of people don't know what goes into the sport, it's nice to have an older sister that can talk her through some of the things she hasn't tried yet.

In last year's meet against each other, Sarah and Kimberly competed in the same events, and ended up scoring exactly the same on each event.

“It’s nice to be able to share the same dream as your sister, and knowing that we’re both living it is incredible,” Sarah said.