Nine ways Ball State's athletic director can earn $5,000

Ball State announced the hiring of former Eastern Kentucky athletic director Mark Sandy yesterday. He will take over the same position at Ball State on Feb. 1. 

The Ball State Daily News requested Sandy’s contract. It’s four pages long, one of those breaking down incentive-based bonuses that can be earned in addition to his $245,000 base salary. 

The contract reads:

The AD may receive additional compensation of up to $40,000 resulting from the achievements of one or more of the following Academic, Engagement, and/or Competition Performance metrics.

Academic Incentives

1. The AD will receive $5,000 if all programs have a combined NCAA Academic Progress Rate of 980 or above.

2. The AD will receive $5,000 if all programs have a combined cumulative GPA of greater than 3.0 at the end of the Spring semester.

Engagement Incentives

3. The AD will receive $5,000 if a 10% increase is achieved in Cardinal Varsity Club General Fund from the previous year. 

4. The AD will receive $5,000 if a 10% increase is achieved in total in Cardinal Club donors from the previous year. 

5. The AD will receive $5,000 if a 10% increase is achieved in total ticket revenue from the previous year. 

Competition/Performance Incentives

6. The AD will receive $5,000 if the football [team] plays in a post-season bowl game. 

7. The AD will receive $5,000 if either the men's basketball or women's basketball team plays in the NCAA Tournament. 

8. The AD will receive $5,000 per program if either the football, men's basketball, or women's basketball [team] wins the MAC Championship; $2,500 per program if any other sports program wins the MAC Championship. 

9. The AD will receive $5,000 per Cup Award Program if Ball State wins either the MAC Reese or or Jacoby Cups. 

Read the full story on Sandy's hiring here.