FILM ANNALYSIS: Five overlooked movies to watch out for this December

Anna Bowman is a junior English and telecommunications major and writes ‘Film Annalysis’ for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Anna at aabowman@bsu.edu.

It’s easy to become overshadowed by new movies like "Into the Woods," "The Hobbit" and "Exodus: Gods and Kings," but these upcoming film releases should be on the top of your list this December.

'Wild'

Release Date: Dec. 2

Genre: Docudrama

Runtime: 115 minutes

Rating: R

Reese Witherspoon plays Cheryl Strayed, a reckless woman in the face of adversity after the death of her mother and recent divorce. "Wild" is the story about Strayed’s healing process as she hikes alone for 1,100 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail and the people she meets along the way. The director for this film is Jean-Marc Vallée, who directed critically-acclaimed "Dallas Buyers Club" and "The Young Victoria." Nick Hornby wrote the screenplay; he has written a slew of successful film and books, including "High Fidelity," "About A Boy" and "An Education." With a star-studded ensemble of cast and crew, this film is bound to impress anyone in the mood for the true story of a woman who throws away her past and makes a new beginning for herself.

'Comet'

Release Date: Dec. 5

Genre: Romance/Sci-Fi

Runtime: 91 minutes

Rating: R

Set in a parallel universe, this film is about the romance between a cynic named Dell, played by Justin Long, and a romantic named Kimberly, played by Emmy Rossum, during a cosmic six-year period. Sam Esmail is the new director in charge of "Comet," having never done a full-length film before. Although a rookie by most standards, Esmail recruited an extremely talented crew to take on this film, as the lighting, cinematography and editing is some of the best I have seen this season. The photography in "Comet" incorporates breathtaking color, stunningly dark lighting and dazzling visual effects. If romance isn’t your thing, you should still consider watching this film for its amazing production value and fascinating take on the effect of meteor showers.

'Pioneer'

Release Date: Dec. 5

Genre: Thriller

Runtime: 111 minutes

Rating: R

Directed by Erik Skjoldbjaerg, who has done films such as "Insomnia" and "Prozac Nation," "Pioneer" is the story of a conspiracy during the Norwegian Oil Boom in the early 1980s. Petter, a commercial offshore diver, and his brother are sent on a mission to put the first gas pipe in the North Sea and dive deeper than anyone before. Controversy sparks as Petter begins to have blackouts and tries to uncover the cause of a tragic accident that occurred not long after the assignment’s start. As he starts to wonder who is really in control of his mission, his determination becomes even stronger to do what no man has ever done before. A guaranteed film to put you on the edge of your seat, "Pioneer" will be worth your time this December.

'Big Eyes'

Release Date: Dec. 25

Genre: Biography/Drama

Runtime: 106 minutes

Rating: PG-13

“The eyes are the windows of the soul … that’s why I paint them so big.” Tim Burton has returned with this semi-biographical film about 1950s painter Margaret Keane and her struggle to gain credit for the work her husband stole from her. Keane is famous for her paintings centered on the obscene largeness of her subject’s eyes. Based on visuals from films like "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Corpse Bride," it’s no wonder why Burton chose this story as one he wanted to produce. A number of great actors were cast for this new film, including Amy Adams as Keane, Christoph Waltz as her greedy husband and Jason Schwartzman, who plays an acquaintance named Ruben, all of whom Burton has never worked with before. As Burton is a highly loyal director when it comes to his talent, he made this choice only one other time, when he made "Beetlejuice" in 1988. For those of you who have been missing Burton for the past two years, this film is a must-see for the coming month.

'Unbroken'

Release Date: Dec. 25

Genre: Action/Drama

Runtime: 137 minutes

Rating: PG-13

This action film, directed by Angelina Jolie and written by Ethan and Joel Coen, tells the inspirational tale of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner who is captured by Japanese soldiers during World War II. The story of Zamperini has been a long time coming — Universal Studios bought the rights 57 years ago — but for reasons unknown, never made it to production. Finally, British actor Jack O’Connell will bring the role into fruition with a performance that some critics say will launch his career as a serious actor. Despite its half a century long struggle, "Unbroken" has the support of the real Zamperini, who had a consulting role in its production. It was a real risk making such a long-awaited film into a reality, but when asked if the film will translate well on screen, producer Matthew Baer said, “I’ve never been as sure about anything in my life.”