WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State defeats Western Michigan in 5 sets

Junior outside hitter Mackenzie Kitchel, senior middle hitter Hayley Benson and junior setter Jenna Spadafora all stand ready to defend the ball from Eastern Michigan at the Oct. 3 volleyball game at Worthen Arena.  DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER
Junior outside hitter Mackenzie Kitchel, senior middle hitter Hayley Benson and junior setter Jenna Spadafora all stand ready to defend the ball from Eastern Michigan at the Oct. 3 volleyball game at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Ball State women's volleyball defeated Western Michigan in five sets Saturday at Worthen Arena.

This was the Cardinals' eighth five-set match of the season.

After splitting the first four sets, the Cardinals won the fifth set 17-15.

Offensively, redshirt junior Hayley Benson led the match with 19 kills. She had three errors and finished with a .516 attack percentage. 

Redshirt freshman Sabrina Mangapora added 18 kills while registering a .536 attack percentage.

Middle hitter Kelly Hopkins was the third Ball State attacker in double digits with 16 kills. 

Ball State finished the match with 70 kills as a team and a .252 attack percentage.

Junior Jenna Spadafora assisted on 60 of the team's kills. She also had three kills and six digs in the match.

Western Michigan hit .245 in the match with 62 kills. 

Ball State tallied nine blocks as a team in the match, led by Amanda Raker and Alex Fuelling, who each had two solo blocks. 

Three Cardinals had double digits in digs, led by junior libero Kati Vasalakis with 14. Freshman Marissa Hine had 11 and Fuelling had 10.

The Cardinals are now 14-11 overall and 8-4 in the Mid-American Conference.

Ball State returns to action at 7 p.m. Nov. 7, traveling to take on Central Michigan.