ATHLETICS: Athletic director Bill Scholl struggled with decision to leave Ball State

Bill Scholl said he is nearly finished with the second interviews for a replacement for Billy Taylor. Scholl is confident a new coach will be in place soon after Saturday’s games. DN FILE PHOTO BOBBY ELLIS

Bill Scholl isn’t the kind of guy to walk away from a job unfinished.

It was tough to leave Notre Dame after 23 years working in the athletic department. And even now, after just two years as Ball State’s athletic director, leaving is difficult.

“It’s hard to go back to those people [who jumped on board when I came to Ball State] and say ‘thank you for jumping on board, but I’m going to leave,’” Scholl said. “For a guy who is pretty relationship-based, that’s really, really hard to do.”

Scholl will take over duties as Marquette’s vice president and athletic director in mid-October. When Marquette cold-called Scholl about three weeks ago, he knew he had to at least consider the offer.

His deep roots in Catholicism may have been the single biggest factor in making Marquette the perfect job. The 57-year-old Scholl spent his childhood watching Notre Dame play other Catholic powerhouse schools like Marquette in South Bend, Ind. He later graduated from Notre Dame and went on to work more than two decades at the university.

Now, he has an opportunity to join an athletic department with a rich history of success, particularly on the basketball court. And a chance to get back to his roots.

“There just were a lot of factors that ended up playing into it,” Scholl said. “That made me feel good about taking a deeper look.”

Carrying on the culture

It’ll be quite the transition period for coaches when Scholl steps out of his Muncie office. Already in the first year under Ball State president Paul Ferguson, it will be up to those with experience in the department to help sustain the culture Scholl cultivated when a new face arrives.

Scholl already recognized Ferguson’s commitment to athletics despite having only worked with him for a couple months.

“I think our new president is fantastic, and I think it would have been personally and professionally highly rewarding to be able to have the opportunity to work with him for a longer period of time,” Scholl said.

Associate athletic director and head football coach Pete Lembo has led Ball State to consecutive bowl appearances. Though he was originally hired by former athletic director Tom Collins, Lembo is just one of several coaches finding extensive success under Scholl.

Scholl hired seven coaches during his two years with Ball State. Every hire, with the exception of men’s basketball head coach James Whitford, who is clearly in the middle of a rebuilding phase, has maintained or improved his or her team’s record.

“[Scholl] left the place better than he found it,” Lembo said.

Scholl’s goals at Ball State included improving the student-athlete experience, working with coaches to enhance each program and improving the Ball State image. After 23 years of working with one of the most powerful brands in college sports at Notre Dame, Scholl found himself in a much different position at Ball State. Because there is no established fan base here, attendance is reliant upon the performance of teams.

But in two short years, the school has already managed to put multiple programs in position to make post-season appearances. Scholl also helped lead Cardinal Commitment, a $20 million fundraising effort that kicked off in 2013. In June, when the fund had already surpassed the $19 million mark, the school broke ground on a new football facility.

Scholl said then how important private donations are to the athletic department. The Ronald E. and Joan M. Venderly Football Team Complex was one of several additions made possible by the funds, but a $1 million donation from the Venderlys was the primary driving force behind the project.

One highlight of Scholl’s contributions to Ball State has been his activity in alumni relations and working with private donors. Following the groundbreaking ceremony, Scholl reflected on the level of participation.

“To break ground on the first major project is very exciting,” Scholl said at the time. “It says a lot about the level of support we’ve had from our donor base.”

The transition

As Scholl steps away from the thriving athletic department, Lembo offers to do anything asked of him to help ease the transition. He expects to work closely with athletic administrators, Ferguson and other head coaches to work through the changes.

Lembo received a contract extension and was named associate athletic director in March following his third season with Ball State.

“That promotion or title adjustment wasn’t just for show,” Lembo said. “It was because of these types of situations. Whatever it takes to help, not just the football program, but all of our programs and our department and our campus moving forward -- I’m more than happy to chip in.”

Scholl expects to have some voice in choosing his successor, too. Though he may not be finishing the job, it's important to him that it still gets done.

“It is very important to me that Ball State get a leader that [can push] this whole thing to another level,” he said.

In recent seasons, Lembo and Scholl began organizing meetings between all of the school’s head coaches. They share ideas and work to make sure every team is operating at the highest point possible.

Coaches are quick to call the group a second family.

Women’s golf head coach Katherine Mowat has been at Ball State for 10 years, winning Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year honors twice over that span. She said Scholl is unlike any other leader she has worked with at Ball State, citing his understanding of each team’s specific needs.

“We feel sad right now,” Mowat said.

But like Lembo and other coaches, Mowat said Scholl is more than deserving of the opportunity to advance his career. Even if it means leaving Ball State behind. Scholl is leaving in mid-October, but he was prepared to stay for a long time.

“In our business, opportunities come along,” Scholl said. “I would not say that I came to [Ball State] with the idea that I would never leave, but I certainly came here with the concept that I’d be very comfortable if I never left.”

QUAD TALK: 

"Scholl leaving surprised me; one of my friends from Marquette actually texted me and told me that … A nice environment has been created for athletics to thrive here." - Nate Wolf, undecided, sophomore men's volleyball player

"I'm part of the Nest and the Rewards program. As part of the Nest, we lead the student section and do chants. We are the voice of the students … Thanks to the rewards program last year, I got to go to Northern Illinois. It's easy, all you have to do is show up." - Leslie Thomas, communication studies major, sophomore

"I think athletics are really a big part of Ball State. You hear a lot about sports, not just football, but basketball and other things … I like the atmosphere [at football games] and seeing all the school spirit … I have been surprised at how many people go to the games." - Elisha Krauth, psychology major, junior

"I didn't expect us to be this good at sports when I came here; the camaraderie is good between the athletes … Ball State has a nice family-oriented athletics program rather than an individually-oriented one … [For tailgating], I feel more organization has taken place and more people have gotten involved as the word gets out." - Caitlyn Gross, news journalism and telecommunications major, sophomore