SOFTBALL: 3 Cardinals named to Academic All-MAC

<p><strong>Sammi Cowger</strong></p>

Sammi Cowger

Audrey Bickel

Avg R H HR RBI
.369 26 58 9 48

Kelsey Schifferdecker

era w-l cg ip so
3.36 15-6  12  139.2  72

Sammi Cowger

Avg R H HR  RBI
.313 8 20  2  10

The Ball State softball team had three players named to the 2014 Academic All-Mid-American Conference Softball Team.

Senior Audrey Bickel and sophomores Sammi Cowger and Kelsey Schifferdecker received the honors.

“I am excited to see Audrey, Kelsey and Sammi honored for their hard work and determination to succeed both in the classroom and on the field,” head softball coach Tyra Perry said in a statement. “They are great examples of the type of student-athletes we want representing both our program and our university.”

The team, which is voted on by the league’s faculty athletics representatives, is for student-athletes that qualify by having at least a 3.2 GPA and have participated in at least 50 percent of their team’s games. Freshmen and junior college transfers in their first year are not eligible for the honor.

A sport administration major, Bickel has a 3.745 GPA and is a first-time member on the academic team. As the starting third baseman for the Cardinals, Bickel was sixth in the MAC with a .369 batting average, while also clubbing nine home runs and 46 RBI. She was selected to the First Team All-MAC and the NFCA All-Great Lakes Region Third Team and received the MAC Medal of Excellence Award.

Cowger, also a sport administration major, was selected to the academic team for the first time with a 3.741 GPA. A designated player, Cowger boasted a .313 batting average to go along with two home runs and 10 RBIs.

As the Cardinals’ ace, Schifferdecker went 15-6 with a 3.36 ERA. She accumulated 72 strikeouts in 139.3 innings pitched and was named the MAC West Division Pitcher of the Week three times this season. Her 15 wins were sixth most in the MAC, while her .714 winning percentage ranked first. Schifferdecker had a 3.946 GPA as a business major and was a first-time selection to the Academic All-MAC Team.