GOLF: 4 athletes named to conferences' academic team

Ball State had four members from its golf teams named to the Academic All-Mid-American Conference Team on Wednesday. 

Both the men’s and women’s teams had two student-athletes receive the honor.

The men’s team tied with two other schools for most selections on the team, while the women’s team was only one of four to have a pair of golfers makes the team. 

Jenna Hague and Sarah Westaway were the two honorees on the women’s side. Hague is a junior finance major and carries a 3.651 GPA. This is her second consecutive year receiving the honor. Westaway graduated in May with a 3.73 GPA in school health education. Hague broke the school record for stroke average this year among other honors. Westaway was named the MAC Sportswoman of the Year for women’s golf.

Karley Dobois and Mary Welch received honorable mention for the all-academic team.

On the men’s side, Tyler Merkel and McCormick Clouser were named to the team. Merkel has now made the team three years in a row, while Clouser was honorable mention last season. Merkel graduated this spring with a 3.866 GPA in business administration. Clouser, a junior, carries a 3.857 GPA in mathematical economics. 

Merkel also received the inaugural MAC Medal of Excellence last month. He ranks second in Ball State history in scoring average.