BASEBALL: Freshman honored with First Team selection

Zach Plesac pitches the ball in the game against Bowling Green on March 22 at Ball Diamond. Plesac was named the National Freshman Pitcher of the Year by the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State pitcher Zach Plesac continues to be honored for his first collegiate season.

On Monday, the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association named Plesac to its Freshman All-America First Team. He was one of three relief pitchers nationally to receive the honor.Plesac was recently named the Collegiate Baseball National Freshman Pitcher of the Year and to the Collegiate Baseball Louisville Slugger All-America Third Team.The right-hander finished the season ranked fourth in the nation with a 12-2 record. He also tallied six saves, while boasting a 2.11 ERA and striking out 67 batters in 85.1 innings.Plesac was named as the Mid-American Conference Freshman Pitcher of the Year and received First Team All-MAC after helping guide the Cardinals to the conference regular season title.