FIELD HOCKEY: University promotes young assistant

<p>Christy Longacre</p>

Christy Longacre

Longacre:
Played at Old Dominion: 2009-13
Volunteer Coach at Ball State: February 2014 - April 2014
Named Assistant coach at Ball State: May, 9, 2014

The Ball State field hockey team promoted volunteer assistant Christy Longacre to the position of assistant coach.

Longacre, who graduated from Old Dominion in December, began volunteering in February and said she’s excited for her first year as an assistant.

Q: What made you decide that coaching was what you wanted to make your profession?

A: Well, I coached for a youth club team in Virginia Beach while I was playing, and I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed just working with people and just staying on the field and being a part of field hockey and keeping it in my life. So, I thought I’d try it at the collegiate level, and I love it.

Q: You just graduated, and you already have a coaching job. Would you say that you got lucky getting a position this fast?

A: I think I got extremely lucky, to be honest, that [Ball State field hockey head coach] Beth Maddox believed in me enough. ... I’m just very lucky and very happy to be able to be given this chance.

Q: Why did you choose to come to Ball State to coach?

A: [It’s a] funny story. Beth Maddox actually [coached camps] at [Old Dominion], as well. I met her my first summer at ODU my freshman year. ... From then on, we just built a relationship. This past summer, I worked a camp with her again at ODU, and she asked me what I was doing when I graduated in December and I said I wasn’t sure. She told me that I should come out to Ball State and see it, see if it was a good fit and if I liked it. I did. I fell in love with it.

Q: Even though you don’t have a lot of coaching experience, what do you feel you can bring to the team from your experience as a player?

A: Just knowledge of the game. I just [graduated]. ... I just played this last season, so I’m fresh out. I know the game better then anyone else at the moment and just bringing that knowledge to [the athletes] and knowing that there are difficulties with time management, playing a sport and being in school.