Wide receiver Jordan Williams ready to lead

Sophomore wide receiver Jordan Williams makes a push down field against the University of Akron on Oct. 26 at InCision Stadium. Williams had the top yards receiving against Akron with 124. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Sophomore wide receiver Jordan Williams makes a push down field against the University of Akron on Oct. 26 at InCision Stadium. Williams had the top receiving yards against Akron with 124. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

As he took the field for Ball State’s first spring practice, Jordan Williams realized he wasn’t just another contributor. The junior, surrounded by a largely unproven group of receivers, looks to become a leader in the coming season. 

“I was like, ‘Wow. I’m a junior now,’” he said. “Every rep counts now; time is ticking.”

With the departures of wide receivers Willie Snead, Jamill Smith and Connor Ryan, Ball State lost three of its top four wideouts from the 2013 season. The voices that kept players focused are gone now. 

Williams is now left to fill those voids. Sometimes it’s a matter of picking up other players, or making a play to get the offense back on track. 

Either way, wide receiver coach Keith Gaither said the focus needs to be there every day. 

“[Williams] took the step,” he said. “He can be a leader. He can be a captain on this football team. The only way you can be that is by being a worker every day.”

Sometimes, talented players don’t exert themselves in practice, simply because they don’t have to. They rely on pure athleticism to succeed. Gaither said that’s not the case with Williams. 

The 6-foot-2 receiver didn’t register a catch his freshman season. Before Ball State played in the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl in December 2012, though, Gaither saw Williams start to practice like a “real ball player.” 

That’s why Williams’ 72 catches for 1,050 yards and 10 touchdowns last season was no surprise to Gaither. He’s been watching Williams mature for two full seasons, and there’s no sign of him slowing down. 

“[Growing] has been fun,” Williams said. “To get out here and do that with this team has been a blessing.”

Now, Williams is focused on being the best player he can be. He looks forward to the opportunity to increase further his production.  

For the first time in his Ball State career, Williams is going to be “the guy” for this team. 

“The torch has been passed down to Jordan,” Gaither said. “Now it’s his job to pass it down to the KeVonn [Mabons] and these other guys so they can learn how to work.”

Mabon, a junior himself, is no stranger to putting work in on the field. After missing much of last season with a broken collarbone, Mabon is using spring practice to “learn the ropes.” 

Even though Mabon is in his third season with the team, he’s working on fundamentals within the offense. Route running and making catches — sometimes as many as 150 in a single practice — are commonplace. 

He’s working to learn multiple roles, too. Since the second spring practice, Gaither has moved Mabon around and experimented with him as a slot receiver. 

Williams and Mabon hope to complement each other in a manner that keeps defenses from bracketing both of them in any given formation. Reading defenses and making adjustments on the fly is an important aspect of their mental game.

Knowing the entire field means Mabon can lend advice to any teammate that needs it. He is looking forward to being a leader on the field, too. 

“[Williams and I] wanted to start immediately,” Mabon said. “We had to sit behind those guys for two years. We feel like its our team now; we lead the way.”

Gaither said they can’t afford to hang out in the back during practices any more, they have to be the go-to guys. But he’s confident it will come in time — spring practice is just the next step in testing his veterans. 

Watching players develop off the field is as important as the wins they get on it for Gaither. 

“It’s not how many bowl rings or trophies you get,” he said. “It’s seeing a kid improve. To me, that’s why you coach.”