FOOTBALL: Defensive coordinator brings fiery personality, simple scheme

Kevin Kelley coaches during a spring practice. Kelley was hired as the defensive coordinator in January. DN PHOTO BREANA DAUGHERTY

For Ball State football players, breaking down new defensive coordinator Kevin Kelly’s personality is simple. The former Georgetown head coach is “mellow,” until he steps onto the field.

That’s when a focused, “fiery” competitor takes over. For now, Kelly is focused on getting his defense to play fast, physical football.

Senior defensive end Nick Miles said Kelly’s new defensive scheme will allow players to concentrate on making plays.

“It’s still complex enough so that we can do what we need to do,” he said. “It’s just helping us remember things a little easier and certain things that help us not think as much and just play football.”

Miles said he is enjoying the team’s new mindset on the field. It’s a little less mental and a little more physical. But not that much has changed since the team hired Kelly to replace former defensive coordinator Jay Bateman.

Since the winter, when Kelly was studying film of the team, he knew he was bound for a comfortable coaching situation. He knew the team’s current personnel and style of play wasn’t broken.

“Philosophically, we’re still on the same page as we were with coach Bateman,” Kelly said. “He did a great job with these guys. The thing I was most impressed with when I got here was the culture. Guys do what they’re supposed to and have the right attitudes.”

Kelly said the players he inherited will be able to make the jump to next season without missing a beat, even though they’ll be missing five starters.

Miles is the defensive line’s sole returning starter. The team also loses a starting linebacker and cornerback from last season.

Senior safety Brian Jones said though things are still shaky at this point in spring practice, he’s excited to lead the young group.

“I’m one of the older guys and I’ve played a bunch,” he said. “I kind of put it on my shoulders to help those guys, because at the end of the day, we’re going to need them when it’s game time.”

Between Jones’ leadership, Kelly’s simplified defense, and some of that fiery personality, the defense expects a smooth transition. The excitement Kelly brings to the field could be as much a factor as anything.

It brings an added motivation for players. Miles said Kelly often yells things like “tough football.”

“We like that, though,” Jones said. “That gets us fired up and motivated to play harder.”

That’s all Kelly wants to accomplish in the early stages of his Ball State coaching tenure — getting guys to fly around the field and make plays.

After all, players aren’t the only people who want a win.

“I’m just a competitor,” Kelly said. “When I get out on the field, I want guys to do good on defense; it’s an emotional side of the ball. You have to play with intensity. If the leader’s not intense, I don’t think the group is going to follow suit.”

9936_kelleyfootballf.jpg

Click here to learn more about the new offensive coordinator, Joey Lynch