MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Freshman shows maturity alongside second unit

Freshman outside attacker Brendan Surane hits the ball over the net in match against Barton on Feb. 28 at Worthen Arena. Surane had 10 kills. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Brendan Surane is just a freshman, but his presence on the court coupled with his overall play was a key factor in Ball State’s 3-0 win over the Barton Bulldogs on Friday night in Worthen Arena.

Surane has received extended playing time following a hamstring injury to senior outside attacker Larry Wrather, who is out indefinitely.

Although his stats weren’t overwhelming, Surane led the team with a career-high 10 kills on a night in which nine other Cardinals recorded at least one kill. He posted a .261 attack percentage, a service ace and three digs on the night.

Perhaps his biggest contribution, however, was providing some leadership for the second unit.

Despite the fact that Surane played with the second unit longer than with the starters, he said he didn’t feel the need to change his leadership responsibilities too much.

“I just tried to help when I can when we were in a tough situation and tell them what’s going on,” he said.

He probably won’t have as many chances to help lead Ball State’s second unit as much as he did Friday evening, but he will continue to grow playing alongside other veterans.

Surane’s development has been a direct result of experience on the court this season.

“Just every day in practice, getting more reps and seeing what I can do and experiment with new things that I can try in the game,” he said.