WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Taylor Miller sidelined by illness after returning from ACL tear

Despite her unassuming 5-foot-5 frame, Ball State sophomore Taylor Miller’s physicality measures up with the biggest players on the court.

Through high school, she built a reputation for playing tough, gritty basketball. When she fell to the hardwood after a minute of play during the Feb. 10, 2013, game against Toledo, her mother thought nothing of it.

Surely, she would get right back up.

“She’ll give it all for the team at that moment and worry about the injury later,” Nikki Miller said. “But this time, it wasn’t the case.”

Taylor couldn’t finish the game. Instead, she’d spend 10 months recovering a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

9220_acl_illustration_xray01realo.jpg

Nikki all but expected Taylor to suffer a serious injury — knowing how often her daughter put her body on the line — but it was still frustrating.

“I hate to not see her play because I love watching her as well as the other girls,” she said. “You’ve only got four years of college to play ball, and it goes by quick.”

Taylor played 22 of 33 games in her freshman campaign, but she missed out on some of the biggest moments. She missed the latter half of Ball State’s 12-4 run through Mid-American Conference play.

She missed out on the team’s appearance in the Women’s National Invitational Tournament Sweet 16 and the trip to Cleveland for the MAC Championships.

For Taylor, not being a part of those moments was difficult. She had family to get her through the rehabilitation, and her team was supportive when they were on campus.

When neither support group was around, though, she was forced to acknowledge a dramatically impacted daily routine.

“You’re use to coming [to Worthen Arena] every day, seeing your team,” Taylor said. “But then two or three days when they’re gone, you’re just like, ‘What do I even do?’”

Advice from family to “keep praying” and to “take care of yourself” helped her stay positive. Taylor wanted to be out playing live basketball, but her family made sure she felt supported even when she couldn’t.

“They came to the home games even though I wasn’t playing,” she said. “They watched the girls and supported me. That meant a lot.”

Unwavering support from her parents was nothing new. For about a week after the initial operation, Taylor had her mother at her side.

“She was ready to stay until I could start running again, I think,” she said with a laugh.

It took about seven months of wall sits, stretches and other physical therapy before Taylor could run without a limp. She knew she was favoring her injured leg and recovery was all about getting past that.

At first, just the idea of running without a brace was nerve-racking because Taylor’s knee felt so vulnerable. She never thought about giving up, and she was told her knee would come back stronger.

“I focused on that,” she said. “That made me feel like I would be fine when I get back.”

So far, Taylor’s knee has been fine. Her basketball game improved after she spent time working on ball handling during rehab.

But a different ailment is now keeping the sophomore from playing.

She was diagnosed with mononucleosis after playing a total of 33 minutes over a five-game span this season. Again, Taylor is faced with losing time from something out of her control.

She has returned to full participation in practice, but until she sees meaningful playing time again, Taylor will continue to lean on her family’s advice.

“Just because you’re down now doesn’t mean it’s going to stay this way,” Nikki said to her daughter. “Every day is a new day.”