WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Shooting problems plague Ball State

Junior guard Brittany Carter catches a pass from a teammate right before lobbing the ball to Jill Morrison during the Jan. 15 game against Bowling Green at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State’s matchup against Akron was the second one of the season, but the result was no different.

Akron caught fire early into the game, and Ball State trailed 0-12. The Zips commanded the lead throughout the whole game and defeated the Cardinals 87-64.

The Cardinals failed to score in the first five minutes until senior forward Katie Murphy hit a jumper.

Ball State’s loss made the team’s record 5-7 in the Mid-American Conference.

“Akron came out and took it to us,” Ball State head coach Brady Sallee said. “They put five players in double figures, and I think they were that much better than us.”

Akron’s player Hanna Luburgh had 12 points in the first half, going three of eight from the field and five of six in free throws. She ended the game with 22 points.

Another player from the Zips, Kacie Cassell, dictated the game with her ability.

For the 34 minutes, Cassell was in she ended up with a double-double against the Cardinals racking up 13 total points and 11 assist. Some of those points came from her three treys she knocked down.

Akron out shot Ball State behind the three-point line, going 10 of 18.

Ball State has struggled behind the three-point line against Akron, having just four of 20 fall.

Freshmen Jill Morrison, who is best known for her plays behind the arc, was shut out while junior Brittany Carter only went 1 of 6.

“We missed some shots early,” Sallee said. “And that seems to be something that really hinders us, we just could not dig ourselves out of a hole.”