FOOTBALL: Wenning, Snead, compete at 2014 NFL Scouting Combine

Keith Wenning works with a resistance band to stretch his arms on Feb. 1 at the St. Vincent Sports Performance Center in Indianapolis, IN. Wenning is training for the NFL Combine on Feb. 22-25. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Following Ball State’s record-breaking season in 2013, three players are trying their luck at moving into the NFL. Quarterback Keith Wenning and wide receiver Willie Snead, who declared a year early, performed in front of NFL scouts and general managers over the weekend at the 2014 NFL Scouting Combine.
Defensive end Jonathan Newsome is performing today.

2014 is the first year Ball State sent players to the Combine since 2009, when it sent quarterback Nate Davis and offensive tackle Robert Brewster.

Keith Wenning

Measured at 6-foot-3
Arm length of 31 1/4 inches
218 pounds
10-inch hands

Official 40-yard dash time: 5.00
Ranked 15of the 16 quarterbacks who ran

Vertical jump of 28 inches
Ranked 12 of the 17 quarterbacks who performed

Broad jump of 100 inches
Ranked 16 of the 17 quarterbacks who performed

Analysis: Wenning’s numbers don’t jump off the page, but his strength as a player isn’t his athleticism. He performed on-field drills well, at times passing to Snead. Wenning also didn’t disappoint when his official size was announced. Had he come in under 6-foot-3, there would’ve been more things for people to nitpick about his game.

Willie Snead

Measured at 5-foot-11
Arm length: 33 inches
195 pounds
10 1/4 inch hands

Official 40-yard dash time: 4.62
Ranked 39th of 45 wide receivers who ran

Bench Press: 11 reps
Ranked 27 of the 37 wide receivers who lifted

Vertical jump: 33 1/2 inches

Ranked 30 of the 42 wide receivers who jumped

Broad jump 113 inches
Ranked 38 of the 40 wide receivers who jumped

Analysis: While his 40-yard dash time is slower than most wide receivers, Snead’s game was never predicated on raw speed. His strength is his ability to make both the spectacular catches and the routine ones. His hand size and arm length back up those strengths. Snead translates as a possession, slot receiver at the NFL level.

“He can play outside and inside,” said former NFL linebacker Matt Millen on the NFL Network broadcast. “He has pretty sure hands. The thing I liked about him is that he has some toughness. He’ll go down and block for you”