BASEBALL: Ball State defeats Rider, improves to 7-2

Junior T.J. Weir pitches against Bowling Green on April 9, 2013. Ball State dropped the game 5-7. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

• Ball State allows one run for third time this season.

• T.J. Weir earns win with seven innings pitched.

• Alex Call knocks in three runs.

The Ball State baseball team opened its road trip to Lynchburg, Va., with a 4-1 victory over the Rider Broncs.

Starting pitcher T.J. Weir led the way for the Cardinals, pitching seven innings of one run ball. The senior struck out four without surrendering a walk and was able to pitch out of a two on, no out jam in the top of the seventh to hold the lead.

Center fielder Alex Call played the part of hero at the plate today, as the freshman was responsible for two of the team’s six hits and for three of the team’s four runs.

All three of Call’s RBIs came with two outs, and the team as a whole hit .300 in two out situations for the game.

Brandon Estep continued his scorching start to the year, picking up two hits and the team’s fourth RBI. Estep’s two hits raised his batting average to .441 on the season.

The defense was solid with one error, which was quickly erased by one of two double plays the Cardinals turned on the day.

Ball State continues its road trip with a Saturday doubleheader. The Cardinals will face off against Liberty at noon before a 6 p.m. rematch with Rider.