WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Ball State defeats Kent State 55-31, improves to 2-1 in MAC play

Kent State
Kent State

Ball State leaders:

Points: Nathalie Fontaine – 11

Rebounds: Brandy Woody – 8

Assists: Brandy Woody – 3

FINAL SCORE: Ball State 55, Kent State 31

SECOND HALF

Ball State’s efficient aggressiveness in the second half led to a game total of 32 free throws. The team converted on 25 of the free throw attempts, nearly half of its total score.

The clear advantage at the line led Ball State to its largest lead of 26 points in the second half. That began to diminish late as Kent State was able to put together scoring runs after switching to a full-court press defense.

Freshman guard Jill Morrison’s 9 points all came in the second half, and all of those points came from behind the arc. She finished the game shooting 3-for-7 and added two assists. Ball State scored one more field goal than Kent State — the difference maker was free throws.

Kent State finished the game with 16 attempts and hit five of those. Save for the outlandish number of fouls, the Golden Flashes were solid defensively.

Kent State finished the game with 13 steals, eight blocks and forced Ball State into 23 turnovers. The teams were virtually matched with points in the paint as the Cardinals finished with 16 to the Golden Flashes’ 12.

FINAL STATS:
Field goal percent: 13-of-46, 28.3 percent
Rebounds: 40
Turnovers: 23
Assists: 12

FIRST HALF:

SCORE: Ball State 21, Kent State 10

In a defensive first half riddled with turnovers and missed shots, Ball State led Kent State 4-2 after six minutes.

Sophomore forward Nathalie Fontaine tied for a team-high with 6 points on 3-for-7 shooting.

Despite getting open looks at the basket, Ball State was often unable to capitalize. The team finished 6-of-24 from the floor. Junior guard Brittany Carter finished 0-for-6 in the half, with two of those looks coming from behind the arc.

Senior point guard Brandy Woody pulled down four rebounds and hit one three-point field goal in the first half. She was one of six Ball State players with a turnover in the first half. Fontaine committed a team-high three turnovers, but added one steal and an assist.

The Cardinals won the turnover battle with 10 while the Golden Eagles suffered 16. Kent State added five blocks, however, that kept Ball State from scoring even when the players managed to work the ball inside.

STATS:
Field goal percentage: 6-of-24, 25 percent
Rebounds: 18
Turnovers: 10
Assists: 5