4 DOWNS: What you need to know ahead of Wednesday's game

Junior wide receiver Willie Snead waits in the game tunnel with the rest of the Ball State football team prior to the start of the game against the University of Akron. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

1. Central Michigan University’s Cooper Rush has quickly matured

Redshirt freshman Cooper Rush first took the field against the University of New Hampshire in the second game of the season. He finished the day 19-for-32 with 326 passing yards and three touchdowns. From there, he posted three consecutive games with multiple interceptions, all in losing efforts. Central Michigan has won two of its last three games, led by Rush’s five touchdowns and 58 percent completion percentage over that span.

*Lembo’s take: *

“He looks like a seasoned veteran quarterback,” Lembo said. “He’s really, really improved, his confidence has grown, and he looks really poised. He’s making plays now, and it seems like Central Michigan has a good grasp of what he can do. There seems to be a real comfort level there.”

2. Ball State is allowing too many big plays

Ball State has given up 16 plays of 30 or more yards this season, four for touchdowns. The secondary has broken down allowing big plays many times this season. Part of it may be the youth in the back end of the defense. Freshmen Martez Hester, Dae’Shaun Hurley and Tyree Holder have all received playing time this season.

*Lembo’s take: *

“You feel like there are plenty of things you could be doing better,” Lembo said. “We had three or four breakdowns on defense that really hurt us and resulted in big plays for [the University of] Akron.”

3. Central Michigan brings defensive size

The Chippewas have two defensive tackles that play inside. Leterrius Walton, a junior, has the ability to get in the backfield to wreak havoc. He has 6.5 tackles for loss, second on the team. He also has one sack. Next to him, Kelby Latta, a 312-pound redshirt freshman, has 14 tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss.

*Lembo’s take: *

“Big defensive line – probably one of the bigger units that we’ll see all year,” Lembo said. “Probably similar to the group from North Texas in terms of their size up front.”

4.) Senior cornerback Jeff Garrett is playing up to coaches’ levels

Garrett is one of the more veteran players on the defense. He has 36 tackles, with 3.5 for a loss. He also has a team-leading four interceptions, and he is second in the Mid-American Conference in interceptions.

*Lembo’s take: *

“He’s playing the way you want a veteran senior to play,” Lembo said. “I’d like to think when opposing coaches turn on the film and watch Jeff Garrett now, they’re saying, ‘That’s a pretty good corner.’”