Ball State looks to build on last year’s success

Sophomore Nathalie Fontaine attempts a layup against the University of Toledo on March 6 at Savage Arena. The team will host its exhibition opener tonight against Oakland City University. DN FILE PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Starting lineup’s 2012-13 stats

Senior guard Brandy Woody
Games played: 33
Field goal percentage: 31.4
3-point percentage: 26.3
PER GAME:
Minutes: 34.6
Rebounds: 5.8
Assists: 3.79
Turnovers: 3
Points: 10.9

Junior guard Brittany Carter
Games played: 33
Field goal percentage: 32.7
3-point percentage: 30.8
PER GAME:
Minutes: 31.5
Rebounds: 3.9
Assists: 2.52
Turnovers: 2.12
Points: 9.8

Senior guard Shelbie Justice
Games played: 33
Field goal percentage: 35.6
3-point percentage: 30.2
PER GAME:
Minutes: 33.9
Rebounds: 3.6
Assists: 2.03
Turnovers: 1.91
Points: 7.9

Senior forward Katie Murphy
Games played: 32
Field goal percentage: 40.2
3-point percentage: 0
PER GAME:
Minutes: 23.7
Rebounds: 6.2
Assists: .47
Turnovers: 1.66
Points: 7

Sophomore forward Nathalie Fontaine
Games played: 32
Field goal percentage: 47.1
3-point percentage: 14.3
PER GAME:
Minutes: 33.3
Rebounds: 6.6
Assists: .88
Turnovers: 3.5
Points: 13.2

Ball State women’s basketball coach Brady Sallee said he thinks the 2013-14 team has all the key pieces and sees a world of potential heading into this season.

Ball State is set to play in its exhibition game, a season opener, against Oakland City University tonight. The team returns five starters that reached the Sweet 16 in last year’s National Invitational Tournament and brings in a deep recruiting class.

Senior point guard Brandy Woody is the core of the team, or as Sallee calls her, the “head of the snake.” This season is Woody’s fourth as a starter.

“It’s fun to go into the locker room with these girls,” Woody said. “My first two years here, the team was divided. Then last year, it was kind of the same thing. This year, we’re one team and we’re in it together.”

Woody led the team in minutes played, assists and steals last season. Sallee said Ball State would not be the same team without her in the locker room.

Sophomore Nathalie Fontaine led the team in scoring last season, and Sallee said she’s in the best shape of her career.

On Tuesday, Fontaine was named to the All-Mid-American Conference West Division Preseason Team. More honors for the 6-foot-2 forward from Sweden may not be out of the question.

“She’s playing as good as I’ve ever seen her play,” Sallee said. “She’s somebody that I look to have a really special year this year, if she continues to practice the way she is.”

Sallee said she was one of the team’s worst players in practice last year, but she made up for it with her performance in games. She’s starting to bring her competitive edge to practices as well and has consistently led the team in drills and scrimmages.

Practice is different for this year’s team as a whole. Last season’s roster included just 11 players, this year that number has grown to 13.

Sallee said it gives the team ability to do drills that weren’t even possible with last year’s numbers. Woody said it’s been easier on her because she’s not constantly on the floor — something she was familiar with in practice last season.

The incoming freshmen will add size, athleticism and shooting, in addition to the all-important depth. Sallee said guard Calyn Hosea has shown a mature understanding of the team’s system and is playing well in practice.

Freshman Jill Morrison, who averaged 27.8 points per game in high school, will add a shooting presence to this year’s team.

“Morrison can flat out make shots, and that’s something we needed,” Sallee said. “So that’s going to be great for us.”

The freshman guard from Winchester, Ind., said she is excited to join a program on the “upward swing” and hopes to contribute as the season progresses.

“I feel pretty confident,” Morrison said. “I just I hope I can [help] us reach the goals we have for this season. I think I can help with my shooting.”

Freshmen Haley Richardson, Shelby Merder and Renee Bennett bring size that Sallee will use both offensively and defensively with 6-foot-2, 6-foot-3 and 6-foot-5, respectively.

The tallest of last season’s team was Fontaine who is 6-foot-2.

The young players have meshed well with starters that they will ultimately compete against for playing time this season. The veterans’ ability to bring them in reflects well on their maturity, Sallee said.

“They’ve bought in, and they don’t really care,” he said.

It’s just another aspect of this team that Sallee said is so special.

“In my 10 years as a head coach, this is maybe the second time I’ve returned all five starters from such a successful team,” he said. “You take that along with the recruiting class we brought in the door … and you could see why we’re a little bit optimistic about what’s about to happen.”