LINDSEY'S PICKS: Email and Eagles

'We were officially going to a once in a lifetime show'

Lindsey Riley is a senior journalism major and writes ‘Lindsey’s Picks’ for The Daily News. Her views do not necessarily with those of the newspaper. Write to Lindsey at lnriley@bsu.edu

Over the summer, I received multiple emails from Ticketmaster about the History of The Eagles tour. At first, I deleted them, blaming my lack of money and friends interested in the band for not attending.

On a Friday night in July, after making a huge payment on my credit card, I got one last email from Ticketmaster.

The subject line read, “Don’t regret missing The Eagles!”

After calling my good friend Carolyn and learning she hasn’t seen a concert since ‘N Sync, I knew we had to go. So, I called my friends at Ticketmaster, bought some cheap yet stellar tickets and we were officially going to a once in a lifetime show.

On Oct. 18, Carolyn and I saw The Eagles at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in downtown Indianapolis. The show appeared to be sold out, and there weren’t many college-age students there.

Regardless, we were happy to be there and sad to leave.

Friday night was all Eagles, beginning to end. There was no opening act. The band played a variety of its top hits and some songs that were meaningful, just not as big. It was a great set list that started with “Saturday Night” and ended with “Desperado.”

The band played the show similar to how its history started. The first three songs were acoustic and members of the band appeared in the order of which they joined.

As they continued into their set, the show kept building with a variety of lights, graphics and big numbers.

My favorite moments of the night were when the guys played “Lyin’ Eyes” and “Take It Easy.” They sounded great, and it has been a dream of mine to see those songs played live.

Another favorite part was when the band members introduced themselves and parts of their crew. They were humorous, and it was fun watching the audience react. Glenn Frey, guitarist and vocalist, cracked a few jokes about his hometown of Detroit, Mich.

He referenced it as “the city that gave the world Ted Nugent and won’t take him back.”

Anyone who knows how crazy Ted is, especially when it comes to politics, couldn’t help but to burst out in laughter.

I would definitely pick The Eagles as a band to see at least once, whether you only know the hits, a little bit of “Hotel California,” or happen to be obsessed with the band. The show is mellow, but the music sounds amazing. It was worth every penny to experience such an epic and historical musical event.